Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The CAL_AM Dairy Goat Show


Our Goat club sponsored the yearly CAL_AM Dairy Goat Show yesterday at the Fairgrounds in Plymouth, CA. This was my first time being part of the show and I really enjoyed it. I worked at the raffle (excuse me... we are suppose to call it an "opportunity drawing" now.) table, where folks bought tickets and put them in cans for the prize that they wanted. If their ticket was drawn at the end of the day, they won the prize. We got local businesses to donate gift baskets and some of the members brought items like wine, fresh eggs and "goat" products to raffle off. We had everything from goat soap to pitchforks. Everything was gone at the end of the day. We made a lot of money for our club.
This is how these big dairy goats start out...so cute and little. Some stay small and some grow into huge goats.

These (above) are all doelings and some of my favorites. No wait...the two on the top left were already milkers. I sound like I know what I'm talking about but I don't. I just know that I had a great time and watching the judges look for height, configuration, size of udders etc. is fascinating.
They were all females but different breeds. There were lots of Alpines(erect short ears), Nubians( with long ears, like mine), Saanens( that are white or cream colored) and some Nigerian Dwarfs. There were also some does without any ears, just a small opening on each side of their head. I think someone said they were from Africa but I don't remember what they were called.
The NUBIANS were making the loudest noises of all the goats. Like mine, they are such Drama Queens. But, they ALL contributed to the production of NANNY BERRIES( goat manure ). When you have over 100 goats in one place the little pellets start accumulating.

I was on my feet ALL DAY and when I came home I ate dinner and fell asleep on the couch. From 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. is a long day for me. I slept well last night.

This is Christie's gourd. She was one of the members of my gourd club who donated a decorated gourd to the "opportunity drawing". Her "ticket can" was filled with tickets and the drawing winner went home smiling.
Thanks Christie. It was a beautiful gourd and donating it really helped us out.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful gourd! Funny berries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very handsome goats, such lovely creatures! And my ticket for the "opportunity drawing" (hehe) would have gone into the gourd hat, sorry, can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter would have adored this show. She is forever wanting a goat. They live in a residential area where they aren't allowed any "farm" animals...

    I'm holding out for chickens but I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon.

    Glad your friends gourd was so popular. She must have been grinning all day.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.