Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Successful Sale and Fresh Donuts

The Yard Sale went so well on Friday and Saturday. Friday was the best day. We had lots of people come to see us and sold many wonderful things.
"J" had given very good directions to everyone.  The sale was in their parking area that use to serve as parking for a Bed and Breakfast that she and her husband ran years ago. They lived in the the Bay Area and would come up here every weekend and do the Bed and Breakfast, drive back on Sun night and go to work on Monday. Talk about energy.
We met them almost 20 years ago when we walked in looking for a place to sleep after a long day of panning on the river. We were tired and dirty and had no reservations.  They were working in the garden and I'm sure they didn't know what to think of us.... but they took us in.
We came back again.... with reservations.  Even my parents came up here with us one time. Such good memories. Then we moved up here and so did they..... and the story goes on.
This is the back of her property on Church St. This place is just perfect for a yard sale with its big parking area that's on a quiet back street. It's gated and roomy... with plenty of street parking..
 There is a cemetery across the street.... and down at the end of the street is the Miner's cemetery for the big Argonaut Mine Disaster in 1922.
Forty seven miners died in this tragedy. A fire broke out on one of the lower levels of the mine and 47 men were trapped. They all died. The bodies were finally found three weeks later at a depth of 4350 ft.
Many families in this small town lost loved ones in this horrible disaster.
Mining is a dangerous business. Every time I park there and see the sign, I'm reminded of this tragedy. How quickly life must have changed for these families and how hard their lives must have been, from then on, without their husbands, fathers and loved ones.....

So, 89 years later, on a much happier note, we hung our YARD SALE sign out and led folks to our big summer sale.
Thanks to "J" the sale was well advertised and very organized. I was impressed with the organization of everything. They even had donuts for us the first morning.... and very good coffee.
Just about every piece of furniture was sold.
There was also a section that was filled with donations and all the proceeds went to our local FOOD BANK.
This sale was a total success.
 Gathering the items for the sale, cleaning them, pricing and carting them to my friend's house... getting up at 5:00 a.m. to be down there at 7.00... and (because you never want to say that you are "home alone" when you're home ALONE) the Prospector was on a fishing trip all of last week so I was taking care of the farm by myself.
The feeding of the animals and the garden watering fell to me completely and needed to be done before I left for "J"s house on both days. That was harder than any of the rest of it.... and there was Lucky, my son's cat. She needed her medication and food too. I have been taking care of her while he was up fishing and camping with his Dad, (the Prospector), his brother, his uncle and my GRANDKIDS.
WAIT A MINUTE!!
I think something is wrong with this picture.
I think that I should be with them.... campfires in the evening, swimming in the lake, hiking , boating and playing with my grandkids.
Still....who would take care of the animals?
Does anyone want a house sitting job next summer? It's just 4 big goats, 8 chickens. 1 cat ( well, two including my son's cat.) two crazy corgis, a few assorted wild animals, maybe a rattlesnake or two and we might even put on a wildfire display for you. That's not funny is it?
Oh. and you have to water a very large garden  everyday.... and drive to the next town for a Starbucks.
Having the Prospector gone makes a BIG difference. When he's gone I realize how difficult it would be to maintain this farm by myself but....
I could go with him... that's a great idea. I think that I will work on this.


When I came home from the sale I ate lunch and curled up with the dogs and slept for two hours both days.
The whole thing was well worth the effort. I'm glad that I did it.
The Prospector came home this afternoon. My son drove in shortly after. He stayed and had dinner with us then packed up Lucky (his cat) and headed for Oakland. There were lots of "fish" stories and I could tell that they had a good time up there.
The Prospector fed all the animals while I cooked dinner. He did a load of his dirty camping clothes, ate dinner, sat and read a book for a while and then, by 8:30, he said he was going to bed.
I'm so glad he's home. I can put the gun away and sleep in tomorrow morning.
It was a long, tiring, very productive week but I'm glad it's over and life is back to normal.
This is a view taken from "J"s back porch, through her garden toward the parking area where the sale was. I did a post on her house at Christmas a couple of years ago when her cats were kittens. I think I will ask her if I can do a post on her garden soon. It's so beautiful.
She is filled with talent and energy. She's also a really good person. She would be embarrassed by this comment but it's true.

Now, I'm going to bed. I may stay there until Noon tomorrow....


6 comments:

  1. put the gun away...smiles. my wife used to put knives around the house when i traveled...about cut my finger off a few times...glad the sale went well...i hate to imagine what i would do if i lost my wife...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your sale went well. You had a lot to do before going to the sale. I would not know what to do about taking care of so many animals without help, but you got it done. Your pictures are fantastic. Hope you got your rest and that you have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, beautiful gardens, I sure wish I could have attended that sale. It looks like a good one.

    My favorite line is: "I can put the gun away and sleep in tomorrow morning."

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a great time was had by all
    I would love to see her garden
    great pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like the fate of us farm lassies hey? There always has to be someone at the farm to look after everyone else...I think in my next life as God, I will put opposing thumbs on goats and dogs! Indeedy "put the gun away"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too funny Farmlady!
    And your friend's garden is divine..........

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.