Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Best Season of My Life

 Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn,
A cool breeze in summer, snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, 
This is the best season of your life.
~Wu-Men~

Thank you for the beautiful cards and lovely gifts.
For a hand made card from a friend with photos of her visit to my house this summer.
For my friend, "C', who came up Friday and gave me beautiful yarn for my obsession. 
For phone calls from my sons and grandsons, 
Sister-in laws and friends.
For my sister, who arrived to help me celebrate. 
 Who wore the coolest boots...
And hiked with me to "the place where the ferns grow".
We shared the beauty of this place for a long weekend and I, again, understood how important it is to have this relationship with her. She and I are seven years apart and were not really close when we were young because of the distance in age. Now, we are best friends and I'm so thankful for this.
She gave the goats some lovin'.
The Prospector showed her how to retrieve gold from a sluice box.
She got to sleep in... and then be attacked by two small dogs when she opened her bedroom door.
She couldn't go anywhere without Carl and Cutter following her.
Yesterday we cut Manzanita for Christmas decorations.
(Can you find her in the photo to the left? She really got in to her quest for the perfect branch.) 
 We lined up and compared each branch for size and perfection of twig. She piled the best ones into her car.
Then she packed up and drove back across the valley to her family in the Bay Area.

Thanks Sis, You made my birthday very special.
Thank you family and friends. 
This really is "the best season of [my] life."
Cutter is a bit unhappy. He wants to know where his "auntie" went.






16 comments:

  1. It really sounds like you had a real nice birthday, and I want to
    include my birthday wishes for you. Manzanita twigs are great for decorations. I Had a large Manzanita tree that I painted white and decorated it for Christmas one year when we were living in Sacramento. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday! i am glad you were surrounded by the people that love you and had a wonderful time...nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to spend your Birthday! I'm glad that you were able to celebrate it with your sister. It looks like the two of you made some lasting memories...

    May you always be "in your Best season"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's these times in our lives that we make the best memories. Happy Belated birthday to you! No doubt it was filled with family, friends and plenty of good food.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a great visit. Love the fact that you could hike together and explore. And I, too, love her boots. What is the color on your walls called and do you know who makes it? It looks so warm and inviting. Is it a kind of yellow and is it all through the house? Sometimes photos distort colors, this is why I ask. Happiest of birthdays to you, even though I am a bit late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending best wishes for your birthday! I'm glad that your sissie came up to visit and spend some time with the entire family. Doggies included. LOL I love manzanita branches and would so like to have some. Don't have them around here, otherwise I'd be on the hunt for them. If I ever get out to Cali again, I'll have to hit the hills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! It looks like you guys had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the photos. Hi to Cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated birthday greetings. Looks like a perfect day for it to me. May every year be the perfect one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed your birthday! Happy belated birthday! Do you like all kinds of yarn or just wool?
    your sister is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday. The years do become richer and mellower with age don't they? That picture of the deer is breathtaking! A birthday gift all by itself. I had a similar 'gift' on my Nov 21st bday...an owl flew into the fir trees in the backyard and stayed for the morning.
    Wishing you many many more years of goats and deer and corgis and long walks with sis and quiet moments with the Prospector!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must have missed something because I didn't know it was your birthday...so with all my heart...Happy Birthday kindred soul!
    Looks like you had a most excellent time rambling along looking for twigs and stuff...I hope you have many many more good wanders for the coming year. All the best of your season...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Farm Lady!!! May many monkey shines be bestowed upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sisters are just the best, aren't they? I wasn't blessed to have one, but that's okay.

    We don't have those trees around these parts.

    I'm glad you had such a wonderful time on your special day, Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cutter is lovely. Looks a lot like my Chelsea.
    Love the new header and the beautiful quote. (Love that quote.) Wonderful that you and your sis are now close. It is never too late. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit.
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad for you! Best season of my life too. Thanks for all the comments! Merita

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.