Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A walk with Annibel

She walked ahead of me the other evening as if to say..."You have been taking the dogs for too many walks lately so hurry up and come along with me."
We walked to the top of the road that continues onto our neighbors property. The sun was just setting.
 The end of summer grass is dry and I stay on the dirt path. I'm aware of snakes in the grass on hot evenings like this so I avoid my favorite grassy hiking places. The California Buckeye is the first tree to go dormant and drop its leaves. It's beautiful against the dark oaks and pale grasses. It will drop leathery brown seed capsules soon that I love to use in baskets for the holidays.
Some critter jumped out of an oak tree below me and ran down into the ravine to the right. I heard the movement but didn't see what it was. This caught Annibel's attention. She started to move into the grass and I called to her. Fortunately she came back and we started toward the road down to the house. She kept stopping and looking back as if she wanted to go check out this other animal. That's a worry to us because she is outside all the time, but when she is not walking with me she never goes this far. She stays around the house, mostly in the garden.
As most cats would do, she saw a leaf move with a slight breeze and chased it. She got quite silly and ran about pawing at anything that moved.
I put a leaf on her back just for fun. I got caught up in the moment. It was probably not the best leaf. I think it was a poison oak leaf, but very dry and very pretty. I thought that she would try to shake it off or try to reach around for it. I thought that she would get all goofy about it and roll over or something. Oh no....
 She stopped her silly behavior and walked away with her tail in the air. She was obviously bored with the game and annoyed at my conduct or I had scored the winning point. I'm not sure. Whichever it was...the game was over.
...and off she went, down the hill toward the house, acting like I had ruined her whole day. Good grief! The leaf was still on her back and it stayed there until we got to the chicken house. Then she made a quick move toward something that caught her eye and the unwanted decoration slid off onto the ground.
I said, "See ya Annibel. Nice walk." and went to see the goats before it got too dark. They are so much more agreeable that cats...and that's saying something because you know how one of my goats can be.
I always feel like Annibel tolerates us. She appreciates the food and water but wants to maintain a dignified detachment. Maybe she thinks we should let her live inside the house. I know that she likes us, but she acts like she could just as easily move to my son's house in the city and not miss a step.  She's the perfect example of an animal that lives vertically.... in the moment. We are just one of her nine lives.... a place for her to have control, bother the dogs and sleep in a safe place. I kind of like this about her. Attachment can be a heavy thing.

"When I play with my cat, who knows if I am not a pastime to her more than she is to me."
~Montaigne~ (1533-1592)

12 comments:

  1. Ahhh... cats. They're funny creatures alright, and I wouldn't want to live my life without them.
    I've got 7, and although they sleep and play outside, they do like to come in for a warm in the mornings - and nag me for their breakfast.
    Each one has their own individual personality, meows and funny little habits, and they start my day off right.
    Well except for Maggie, who is the biggest nagger, demander, and uppity cat I've ever met!
    She's gorgeous, and she lets us know it - in no uncertain terms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annibel is a very pretty cat. Love all your photos. It sure does look dry. We finally got some rain but it is still hot. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet stroll with Annibel! She is a gorgeous kitty :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annibel is a cutie. Our little boy cat is at the vet's today with a fever and equilibrium problem. We couldn't find him for 24 hours and discovered him this morning in my husband's closet. We are very worried about him. They're doing some blood work now. We have our fingers and toes crossed that he pulls through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, and all your posts really, which always seem to capture the beautiful little details in the everyday and the ordinary. I also love reading about your animals. Coincidentally, I posted a silly piece today about my old cat turning 14. She's a needy one, but I have another cat that, like your Annibel, is much more aloof most of the time. Your girl is very pretty. Isn't there just something about calico cats that evoke a feeling of home? There always has been for me. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's a very pretty cat! I have a calico cat too, but she's on loan to my mom, who got an apartment 4 years ago and needed a companion! Fancy does not hover over her, but in the evenings, she likes a tummy rub and a little attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww FarmLady, I so enjoyed this post. What a sweet rambling stroll you shared with Annibel. She is a beautiful cat and your pictures are the cherry on top of the sundae! Love the first and last pictures. Last one makes me smile :) The quote also makes me smile. I am sure our late Country Cat found us a convenient pastime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!! I am soooo not ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annibel is so cute. And your photos show the qualities that you've described! I enjoy all your posts when you write from the animals' perpsective. You are so good at matching photos to the story.

    Leaves have been turning and dropping here due to the unusually hot, dry summer. I think it's going to be an early fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute cat and fun to walk with looks like. to answer you question on my FSO, yes, that is me in the last photo. I set my camera on a post and took pics of myself!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful walk with Annibel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love our kitties, too. We had three of them in the bed with us last night. The fourth was in the floor, under my night stand with her litter of kittens. She's getting fixed after they are weened for sure.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.