Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, June 22, 2009

Imprints and Memories


"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."


The roses in the garden have been enjoying the cooler weather and then we get a long day of sun and they bud out like they've gone mad with joy. Don't tell me that flowers have no feelings, no souls...

"No one can have a healthy love for flowers unless he loves the wild ones."


This wild beauty left it's imprint on my hand and in my heart.
The Queen Anne's Lace: or Wild Carrot is blooming down along the river. It stands high above the wild berries and poison oak; swaying in the breeze and beckoning all who drive by.
I remember fields of this flower on the road from Eugene to Florence Oregon; a trip I took a few years ago ,by myself, to see my cousins. Queen Anne's Lace was everywhere that summer. Every time I see this lovely wild flower I think of that trip...,looking for a new wild species of plants with my cousin Danna and her husband (both Botanists for a local university)..., my cousin Jeanne's beautiful garden and her cat that followed me through the berries as I picked them for lunch. Imprints and memories...

Yesterday the Prospector and I drove to the Mokelumne River, to introduce Carl to the beautiful water and wildness of this place we love so much. I have photos of Carl's first encounter with the river in tomorrow's post.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. It was years before I realized that to some folks Queen Anne's Lace is a wild flower. We had them in our yard and they where beauitful very large and thick blooms, my Granny had a flower garden for cut flowers beside the veggies garden and there were 2 rows of QAL in there she made some beautiful bouquets and used them as fillers. Old Maids, Batchler buttons, lark spurs, QAL, poppies, raggied robins, all old fashion flowers.\
    Thanks for showing us these beautiful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read
    This wildflower left its imprint on my heart
    I thought it was the first line of a wonderful English poem!
    Very lovely.
    I enjoy your blog so much

    julie Whitmore

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are breathtaking pictures of the beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing these flowers. I appreciate your visiting my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous roses - I love them all! Looking forward to seeing Carl pictures tomorrow - he is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Queen Anne's Lace is one of the few wildflowers that I know from childhood's days. I'm learning about wildflowers since I've been living in the country, but QAL is one of those things that remind me of one of my aunts. My Aunt Annie was my dad's sister and I swear she could grow ANYTHING. She took a lot of car trips with our family back in the 50's and if she saw a flower, a cactus or anything else she wanted to grow she would dig it up, pull it up or wrap up in a newspaper and bring it home, stick in her garden and it would grow. She was even known to take a rose out of a cut batch and get it to grow. She had a true green thumb. I appreciate that now, but not when I was younger... unfortunately. She lived to be 99 and I could have learned so much from her...

    Helen

    After a new computer, my next thing is a better camera.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.