Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, June 21, 2009

I Can Still Hear the Piano


This was a class photo of my dad (second from the left on top row). He was in the 4th grade in Napa, Ca. What a cute kid.


The two things he was most proud of besides his family was his time in the Navy and his work on the Grand Jury in 1978-79.


He loved wearing hats, taking long drives with his family and having get-togethers with his extended family where he could sit and listen to Mom play the piano and we would sing him his favorite song called Daddy's Little Girl....

You're the end of the rainbow,
my pot of gold
You're daddy's little girl
to have and hold
A precious gem is what you are
You're mommy's bright, and shining star.

You're the spirit of Christmas,
my star on the tree
You're the Easter Bunny,
to mommy and me
You're sugar, you're spice,
you're everything nice
And you're daddy's little girl.
(Repeat all)

You're the treasure I cherish,
so sparkling and bright
You were touched by the holy
and beautiful light
Like angels that sing,
a heavenly thing
And you're daddy's little girl.

I can still hear the piano and our voices and see the tears in my Dad's eyes. He had been gone 3 years now and he was a long way from us when he died because of Alzheimer's disease.
I still dream of being in our house on Rose Lane. There was happiness and sadness there, but I choose to remember the good things. One of those memories was the music and how he love to listen to my mom play the piano and have my sister and I sing to him. We were his little girls and we were his "angels that sing", and I know he still listens....
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. This was a wonderful post. I had forgotten about the song Daddy's Little Girl. Thank you for reminding me of it. I will say that this post brought tears as it will to anyone who has lost their Dad as you and I have. Have a great day and wish your husband a Happy Father's Day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. Love the hat in the photo. He had to be a good sport to be comfortable with getting his picture made with it on.

    I put a poem in my blog that my daddy taught me when I was little.

    I hope you had a wonderful Sunday.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.