Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Vintage Thursday: My Very Own "Old Thing"


I hate to admit it. This is MY book and it's very old. All of you youngsters who love all things older than yourselves should go crazy here. Before Cd's, Ipods, IPhones, computers and even TV, there were a lot of big musical instruments in the homes of the world called PIANOS and if you played the piano you usually had sheet music or books to tell you how to play a song. It was a lot of hard work and you had to take lessons to learn how to play this instrument.
My Mother was very gifted. She had taken lessons for years and could play just about any song that was put in front of her. She could sing like an angel, and since she always wanted to be an Opera singer, a Diva of the Met and La Scala,( this was where the word "DIVA" was originally used), she brought the world of classical and modern music into our home and our lives.


This Golden Songbook was given to me, by my parents, in 1947. I was 3 years old.


My Mom probably sang these to me for the first year or so, but after that I sang every song in this book and I can still sing any one of them, almost for memory. This is the kind of memory that is a priceless gift. Standing next to my mother, learning to read music, watching her hands move gracefully on the keyboard and listening to her voice..., I learned to sing. The memory of all those years and this little song book are so dear to me that even now I feel tears in my eyes and hear the songs in my heart.


Go to Colorado Lady's blog for more Vintage Thursday Things. She is the host of these wonderful Thursday's posts filled with interesting vintage photos and storys that I know you will find very enjoyable.

Click on photos to enlarge them.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. What a great post. The precious memories you have. The way you described them I almost could hear your mother singing and playing the piano with you singing along with her. Have a great day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh farmlady what a beautiful post. What wonderful memories, to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome. I would love to learn to play the piano. Hard work indeed. Our piano sits silently awaiting the day when someone in this house can really play.

    I do have an ipod type thingy but I'll be darned if I can find it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very similar memories Farmlady, my Mum playing the piano & we kids singing along, learning to harmonize & appreciate the gift of music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these are real treasures. I do so enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.