Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Standoff

"Where are you Moke? Here boy." Where is that dog? Probably digging a hole somewhere.
" Steve, have you seen Moke?"
"Yep, he's behind the fence facing off with a lizard."
I walked around behind the fence and there he was.

"Moke, are you bothering that poor little lizard?"

No answer.

What a hunter this dog must have been before we found him. Once a "flusher", forever a flusher.
He and this lizard had eye contact for 5 to 10 minutes. The lizard never moved a muscle.
Moke slowly moved closer, and closer, inching his way toward the lizard, one half step at a time. Stalking, predatory; as if this small, beautiful lizard was a prize bird in the bush waiting to fly away. They were almost nose to nose.

Still, the lizard didn't move..

And then it was over. I didn't even see the lizard leave. Moke hit the wire fence and left a wet mouth spot on the wood, but the lizard was gone.

"Well Moke, no lizard today."

No answer.

But I know Moke was seeing red .


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. How sweet little Moke is...Bassett Hound? Arent animals so interesting and entertaining to watch? I have 2 dogs and currently, 7 cats. Yikes....they are all like court jesters!
    smiles,
    DarLy*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Kentucky. I was blog hopping and stopped to read yours. Your grandson is so cute. I have one, aged 13 months and I love him to death. The jam looks wonderful in the pot and the dog and the lizard are hilarious. Thanks for a good read. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe... Get 'em Moke!

    I am impressed with your lizards. They are so plump and pretty. Ours are black and sleek with a stripe. They look a lot like snakes with leg which is a turn off for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.