Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Garden Speak


The garden is doing rather well this year. Maybe it is the chicken manure and the mulch. The gourds(below) are always so beautiful. I think they're one of the easiest plants to grow. Something is nibbling at the new growth though. I think I'll try some reflective tape first because I think the culprits are birds and they don't like shiny ribbon flaping in they faces. It has worked before. I'm willing to share a leaf or two with them, but they have been known to get carried away. So I will decorate the wire fencing with ribbon, then maybe some whirl-i-gigs or noisy wind things. That last one I made up, but they would be something that would let the wind blow through and make noise..., you know, something like a whistle? I have to look around for this one. The whole effect should really frighten the birds away. I hope. "Hope is a thing with feathers...", but not in my garden.
This is the shot I didn't want to show anyone but I'm thinking that someone might have an idea about what is eating ( I mean DEVOURING) my Sunflowers. I can't find any bugs. If it was a gopher the whole plant would be gone. Again, I'm thinking it might be birds, but look at the way something has chewed the stems and even though the plants keeps putting off new growth, the leaves below are being eating to pieces. Does anyone have any ideas?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Those leaves look like aphids or even catapillors have been dining on them.

    I remember the last garden that my mother and father planted together before he died produced some of the biggest veggies I remember ever seeing. They had done a lot of fishing (they lived in Florida at the time) over the winter months. After cleaning and filleting the fish Dad buried all of his excess fish parts in their garden spot. He tilled up the ground in the spring, palnted their garden and used chicken manure for fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a catalpa seedling I brought down from Dunsmuir that is having the same problem. Grew great last year, but this year it's really getting chewed. Maybe I should go out there at night with a flashlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a catalpa seedling I brought down from Dunsmuir that is having the same problem. Grew great last year, but this year it's really getting chewed. Maybe I should go out there at night with a flashlight.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.