Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Happy Feet

I haven't talked about my feet before but they are chronically ill. Feet are not usually a topic for conversation but I think mine deserve a moment of respect. These poor hard working parts of my body have held me up for over 60 years and I have decided that they deserve some special recognition. They have arthritis, multiple neuromas and a recent operation to fix a bone in my right foot, that was growing in the wrong direction ,still gives me fits. During the operation they also removed "bone debrie". Sounds like a compost pile, doesn't it? Most of the time, by the end of the day, they hurt. I usually soak them and rub them with Aspercream, which is the most devine ointment known to woman (or man). Long's Drugs has a generic brand that is very good too and a lot less expensive. So I baby my feet and try to keep them happy because if they aren't happy..., you know, the rest of me might have to go live in the city, in a ground level condo and use a walker and be....., OLD. Now, when I was 20 or 30 years old I though a person who was over , oh, maybe 50 years was really old. Well surprise, my young, little "peeps" ; you get to 50 or 60 and all of a sudden you acquire knowledge and wisdom and ..., fortitude that will last you another 20 or 30 years, if you're lucky. So, if you play your cards right; you retire, get goats (and some chickens), plant a garden and live each day as if it is the most wonderful time of your life. Then, you take your tired old feet, that have a penchant for being barefoot and dirty, and treat them to a " SPA " pedicure. That's what I did yesterday.
What a truly special treatment for your feet this is! I don't think I have had a pedicure since last year some time and before that...., I can't remember when. I consider this a full on luxury. The chair I sat in had a built in massage for my back and before this lovely, young woman painted my toes, she massaged my feet and lower legs. Now other people may spend their discretionary income on big vacations and expensive clothes but I'm here to say that , for the money, a spa pedicure is one of the best, most enjoyable pleasures you can give yourself. The Prospector may have to do my chores for a while. Wouldn't want the goats to think my toes were something to eat. Cover them up? Put socks and shoes on? Are you kidding?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. You don't realize how important your feet are until they start hurting. I am diabetic and the one thing that I miss the most since being diagnosed is going barefoot. I always loved the feel of grass under my feet. Not allowed to that that any more though.

    Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.