It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Living a Poem

Winter still hangs inside of me
like the branches of a low tree, like the cold in my chest.
But, this morning, the bluebirds came ...
They tried to tell me.
 How the seasons change....that I mustn't fuss about little things.
They bathed and left.

Then a new bird sang outside my window.
A sweet high sound.
Solitary and pure.
I listened.
I heard a voice, this time.
And I smiled.


CC-2012

8 comments:

Nancy K. said...

I LOVE it!
Beautifully written.

I want bluebirds...

;-)

Laura~peach~ said...

Smiles!

Eve said...

Simply beautiful!!!!!

Brian Miller said...

um, its been snowing here all day...early spring is not DOA under about 4 inches on the way to 6 or 8...and i just saw pretty flowers yesterday...smiles...

Suz said...

oh that was good
enjoyed the whole thing...every line
but those bathing beauties...!!
i checked our bluebird box in Galena...stuffed with wren junk...next week i need to clean it out...and maybe put a birdbath neat it!

Madeline's Album said...

This was a lovely post. The blue birds taking a bath in the bird bath was nice. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

Chef E said...

Nice :)

I came over to see what you're up too and about to get off of this machine and now I want to write LOL

castlewon said...

lovely, Great Picture too. Take it easy till the cold lets go