Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vintage Thursday


Both of these plates are Bavarian. The yellow plate above has hand painted yellow roses on it and gold trim. The mark on the back says Rosenthal. There is a signature on the front, in the drawing, but I can't read the name. The plate is in beautiful condition and has no crazing or chips.
The plate below is dark orange fading to yellow in the middle with hand painted daisy like flowers . It has a gold trim around the scalloped edge. The mark on the back is a circle with the letters JHR inside. The words Alice and Bavaria are above and below the circle . Another word , in script, "Favorite" is on the back but stamped in a different place.I cannot find any information on this mark.

Both of these plates are 8" in diameter and in very good condition. I bought them this week at our local thrift shop. They were $3.50 each. I wanted some plates to use in the plate rack on the wall in my livingroom. Something more like Springtime. These seem to go well. They should carry us into Summer. Sometimes you just need a little change to make a room look brighter. Old plates are wonderful for this and often very inexpensive,especially if you find them before they get to an "Antique" store.
Please go to Colorado Lady's blog for a list of other folks who love vintage or antique things. Some come with interesting stories too.
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

  1. Oh dear I am so coveting that find--repent repent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. purty stuff... but not near as pretty as two nameless balls of energy with big ears :D
    i am about to embark on a journey... of decluttering my house... my sister is going to help ... i think i threw her into shock last night by telling her i am willing to give up my COLLECTIONS... I have hundreds of unicorns and snowballs...collectors plates ect. that are going to be seeking a new home/s...if you are or know of anyone who might be interested in such things i will let you know more as time comes cause we are going to photo and ebay and craigs list and on my blog the stuff...:) ear rubs to my buds ... Hugs and grits to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow those plates are splendid. $3.50?!!!!! You did good! Am so glad they landed in the home of someone who love them and treasure the beautiful hand painted loveliness :)

    Happy VTT too
    -brightest blessings-
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing the prices you can pay sometimes? Some of the things I love the most cost so little and I get so much joy out of them...


    Happy VTT!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those old painted plates are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous plates. They remind me of my grnadmother's china. (My mom has them now).
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous! Love the colors, so fresh and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those plates are beautiful and awesome! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little plates. Their colors are gorgeous and they will look beautiful hanging. You found some good buys. Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shape of the plates and how they turn up a little on the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've given you a 'sunshine' award...its on my latest post...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. These plates are very pretty, and I am sure look nice anyway you display them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful plates and what a great price!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your plates,, and really love your pictures, those are so great!!! I love the colors in the plates, nice and sunny looking....great post, Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! Where in the world do you shop? The plates are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those plates are pretty! I love your picture collages on your posts! Come stop by my Favorite Things Friday Party if you would like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty plates, perfect for spring. I especially like the yellow one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty plates. Bavarian china is always so lovely!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh those are beautiful! That orangy red one is just dreamy, what a deal, $3.50 a piece?!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.