Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Friday, March 12, 2010

Oh I Do Love To Bake


Yesterday was our Gourd club meeting. I love to bake something for the meetings when there's a reason, any reason at all. Let's bake a cake for your birthday. Let's bake cookies for someone who has won an award. Let's make pie for no reason at all...
I decided to make cupcakes. I couldn't find my other regular cupcake pan so I did some small ones. This worked out great because some folks like "just a bite" and some want a full portion. This gave everyone choices they could live with.
This was a white (cake mix) cupcake with a buttercreme frosting. Very simple and tasty. The white frosting turned pale yellow with the (what else would I add) orange zest in it. The flecks of orange peel added to the "homemade" look and tasted wonderful.

I had some batter left over so I pulled out a pan that I hadn't use yet. I bought two of them at Ross or T.J.Maxx a while back and they were very inexpensive. They are called Petite Muffin Pans. The heart shape is so cute and my only advice is to not fill them very full. The directions say: Fill each cup 1/2 to 2/3 full. DO NOT OVER FILL. This is really true. I would only fill them 1/2 full. The heart shape bakes nicer if the pan is not too full.

These are the "Petite Muffins" with just a sprinkling of powdered sugar. I kept these just for us. Wait... There are only 9 muffins on this plate. What happen to the other 3. I know I baked 12 of these little guys. Who ate the mini muffins?..."WHERE IS EVERYBODY?" The Prospector was no where to be seen. The dogs were not talking.
"Well, I guess I will take that one in the middle, on the right.", I thought to myself., "It looks a little out of shape. Too much batter in the pan. I'll taste test just one. The rest will be for after dinner.
As I popped it in my mouth Carl barked at me. Who does he think he is..., the kitchen watch dog.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Love this and love it that you have a GOURD CLUB. Gourds are one of my favorite things to plant. Talk about gratifying. They have such personalities and they are so darned undemanding.

    Thanks so much!

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable post! I love that " who does he think he is the kitchen watchdog?" More like--"where's mine?" Have you ever made home made dog biscuits? There are recipes now. I think it would be a fun thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love orange zest added to frostings. Yum! You're really tempting me with these pictures. Everything looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing I wasn't in your kitchen or there would have been more than just three missing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute post, love the cakes. I have ordered some fake cupcakes to use as a display in my shop......not quite as tasty!

    Bon weekend,

    Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummers.... I wish I could eat all your goodies... I am trying to be good and lose some weight. Hope all is well with you. Love the pic of the two pups sleeping together. hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.