Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Vintage Thursday: Mom's baby pictures

These are three photos of my Mother when she was a small child. The one above was taken on the Ranch in Napa, CA. at 1913 Silverado Trail, just outside of town on the Trancas Creek. She was probably about a year old. That's my great grandma in the background.
Mom and her brother, sister and parents lived in Berkeley but spent a lot of time at the Ranch. Mom's father died when she was 5 years old and her mother brought them back to the Ranch to live. Her mother(my grandmother) went to work as a cook at the State Hospital in Imola, south of Napa and the extended family all helped raise the children.
Mom was always ready to care for someone or something as evident in the photo above ,taken around 1920, as she watches over her stuffed dog, bear and dolly. Looks like there was a party going on...., she always loved a party.
I love this photo. It's so Mom. The stance, the Maryjane's with socks rolled over just so and the hat..., set back on her head so the sun lights her face...,and that smile, oh that wonderful smile. She was beautiful then and she was beautiful throughout her whole life. The beauty was from within..., it was a goodness and a love of life that came through in everything that she did.
I wish I had known that little girl, but I'm so thankful that I knew the woman and that she was our Mom. My sister and I were so very lucky to be her daughters.

Please check in at Colorado Lady's blog for more "vintage" lovely things.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. You are right, that one photo is just so sweet. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so blessed to have photo's of your dear mother. I only have but a handful. I treasure them but can't hel wishing I had more. Your mom in the maryjane's is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are lovely. I really think that the one of her with the stuffed bear and doll are adorable.

    You're lucky to have such treasures.

    Kindest Regards,
    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am misting up now. Such a sweet tribute to your Mom!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last photo...beautiful, heart-warming post. Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely post and gorgeous photos!!..i love that dolly & pram :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. precious, so glad you have these to linger over and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet those baby pics of Mom-I don't have any early pics of my Mum, she was the 5th. of nine children-I doubt they had a camera even!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love old photos, you are fortunate
    to have these family treasures.
    Enjoyed your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos and lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful photos! I've been to that part of the Silverado Trail - I'll bet it doesn't look anything like that now! Looks like your mom had a wonderful childhood!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.