Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Vacation Across the Pond.

Well, I have exciting news. I've been waiting until I couldn't stand the excitement anymore and had to tell everyone about the biggest trip I have ever taken in my whole life.
A week from today, my sister and I are traveling to Germany.

We are going on a 9 day German Christmas Market tour. 
(This is one of the markets called the Christkindlmarkt, in Nuremberg)

We will fly into Frankfurt and then over to Berlin.
( This is the Brandenburg Gate.)
From Berlin we will tour Leipzig and Dresden and Nuremberg.


Then on to Rothenburg, Munich and a side trip to Salzburg, Austria.
(This is a  photo of Salzburg from Google Images)
We will fly back on December 5. 

I have never been to Europe. This is to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday.
The hardest part is packing, meeting the airline's baggage regulations and bringing enough warm clothes for the cold weather. It will be in the low 40's, during the day, and rainy.
I will leave home on Thanksgiving Day and stay at my sister's until we leave.
I admit... I'm nervous about the flight. Friends have been so helpful about how to travel and what to do on the airplane. Thank you all for the advice and not telling me any "horror"stories.
I have three days to get it together.  At moments, I find myself wanting to stay home... but this is the time to put my big girl pants on and be brave. Lots of people do this everyday. No one ends up in the Atlantic Ocean.
I can do this. It will be a life changing experience for Farmlady.
Auf Wiedersehen!

20 comments:

  1. Oh you are so lucky. I have never been to the Christmas markets but I hear they are quite something. I did go to both Germany and Austria 2 years ago and Salzburg is a beautiful city. We took the tour bus "The Sound of Music" from the city and saw all the places where The Sound of Music was filmed with Julie Andrews.
    Have a wonderful time and a safe trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful holiday trip, to visit places so rich in history! Especially to be there with your sister. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is me being insanely jealous....smiles...i so want to visit europe...germany in particular...maybe one day...or i can live vicariously through you....lots of pictures please...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you will have such a good time you won't even think about the flight parts :-D. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time, be safe, can't wait to hear about it!!!! Would love to do that someday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous wish I was going with you two. I pray you have a safe trip there and back. I know you will have a great time. Be sure and take your camera and take lots of pictures so you can post them for all of us to see. Have a blessed day and a very Happy Thanksgiving. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time a negative thought enters your brain, just knock it right out of there with visions of the beautiful places you'll see. What a fantastic opportunity. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so thrilled for you! What a wonderful "sisters week" for both of you. Can't wait to see photos and hear the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! That is one trip I would LOVE to take too! All those gorgeous German ornaments! I know you both will have an amazing time! Happy 60th Birthday to your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooohhhh Connie, I'm so envious of you! How magical to go at this time of year and see something completely different and Old World!
    Can't wait to see the photos...take loads! Have a fantastic time...Aufweiderzain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very exciting news. I am sure you & your sister will have a wonderful time - it's a great way to celebrate her birthday. Have never been to Germany but would love to visit the Christmas markets some time. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! The photo brought back memories! The hardest part will be deciding what beautiful Christmas Angel to buy LOL

    Salzburg too? I remember most looking through the cemetery where they filmed part of the Sound of Music...my all time favorite. It's gorgeous!!

    All of it. You will be thrilled!!!
    I cannot WAIT to hear all about it :)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, you will have a wonderful time! I went across the pond in May to Paris and I didn't end up in the pond! You'll be there and back home before you know it. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and take SO many photos! Just soak up all that you can take in.
    XO, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a nice time! I miss Heidelberg on your list but all sounds interesting . Great idea to celebrate your sisters birthday. I will bee back to see photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wonderful!!
    you will be so busy yacking and laughing you won't even know there is ocean below you....and the drinks might help too
    have a blast....bring homw a carved goat if you find one....
    oh I am so excited for you!!!
    ..big girl pants..huh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'm sure you two will have a BLAST!!!! Make sure to tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am just thrilled for you! I traveled in Europe several years ago--it was an unforgetable experience. Salzburg is lovely. I hope you packed extra memory cards for your camera! Looking forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. have a fun trip, see ya when ya get back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been there; it is beautiful and one of the most wonderful places for dumplings and butter! The smell of things cooking in that butter are beyond yummy...have a great time. Looking forward to your return post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Connie, I hope you are feeling much better now. It takes a few days to get adjusted back to middle earth.

    I enjoyed your beautiful photos in your blog and look forward to seeing more! I am glad that you, as well as, your tree are enjoying your purchases.

    Merry Christmas - Cheers, Katrina

    P.S. BTW, a correction, I did NOT get a ride from the airport to the hotel in Berlin because my luggage was lost! I took a Taxi!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.