Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wind-words

The weather changed drastically overnight. We have had beautiful sunny warm weather for days and today it's cold, rainy and very windy.
The goats don't like bad weather... especially wind. They get strange and  move around a lot.  I went out front to take some pictures of the storm moving through our river valley. It's always a beautiful thing to experience, a gift for our mild winter... rain for the spring wildflowers....
And I thought about the folks in West Liberty, KY again. I said another silent prayer for the people of that town .
 The clouds that I see are dark, filled with rain and moving fast. I want them to let loose of their moisture. There is no fear of these clouds. They are life giving.
But in a town in Kentucky, the same size as ours, gone in the rubble of a Tornado, they fear clouds and wait for the ones they call "bad"...and the sirens.

Then, my thoughts were interrupted... I heard the goats making this yelling and crying sound.
I ran back into the house and out the back door.
"What's wrong?" I asked, as I went to the fence.
Yes, I always talk to my animals.
They were both standing in the doorway looking at me.
There was Brownie, my one horned darling. Giving me a half grin and looking like he had not a care in the world.
"Brownie. What was all that noise about. I thought you were being attacked."
He just looked at me and continued to munch on his mouth full of hay.
"Well?", I asked.
He just grinned.
"Murphy! Come over here, please."
"Hi, Farmlady."
"What's going on out here? It sounded like you were being attacked."
"No, we are fine. But we don't like this wind."
"Does it scare you?... It does, doesn't it? "
" Well, we don't understand why we can't see the wind. There is this sound  that comes and everything moves... the trees, the leaves and everything goes from one place to another. Why is this, Farmlady?"
" Wind is very complicated Murph'. It's about air pressure and things that happen way up in the sky. But, it won't hurt you. You are safe here in your house. I promise."
" I still don't like it."
"You know what? There is a really huge wind called a Tornado. We don't have them here but in the Midwest and in the East and South East they have wind that comes out of the sky and circles down with such force that it damages houses, people and animals. We don't have storms like that here. We are very lucky."
"Are you sure, Farmlady?"
"Yes Murph', I'm sure."
He came up to the fence... and we touched noses.
"It's really OK." I whispered.
He went back into the goathouse.
Brownie came out and looked at me.
The backdoor screen slammed shut in the wind. It startled Brownie.
He panicked and turned around to look as the wind picked up. The sky was clearing and the sun was shinning but the wind was blowing hard.
Brownie turned and looked at me again.
"Maybe the sky is falling, Farmlady."
"No, Brownie. The sky fell in Kentucky, Ohio and Illinois a few days ago. It's not going to fall here. It's just a strong wind."
"Well, I don't like it." and he walked back into the goathouse with Murphy.
I heard voices coming from the goats inside their house. I think I heard Murphy say something like,
"Dwi ddim yn hoffi gwynt."
Then I heard Brownie say, "I don't like the wind either, Murph' " 
They will probably stay in their house all day today.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this story!
    and I love how you love your goats...and Brownie...my fav...
    one horn...:(
    touch his nose for me, will you Farmlady?
    It was very windy here...but sunny, very sunny..and 63

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww i am glad you were there to comfort them...a tornado took out the row of houses right behind my sisters house the other day in indiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is windy here, weatherman said wind would start at 10:00 a.m. today and he was right on the money .... he said til 7:00 p.m. tonight. Had a few drops of rain just before the wind started ... sunny now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when our goats would get stuck down in the field when the rains came and they would come running up to the barnyard with their heads hanging down to avoid the raindrops!
    We get powerful winds here as well but no tornados...I think of all those people as well. Weather is a power not to be reckoned with.
    Give the goats a head rub from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so touching and wish we could reassure the folks in those states that they'd be okay :(

    Still on my mind as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The other day, the snow poured like crazy and I looked out to see my three little goat girls stampeding to get into the shelter of their sleeping barn. They do no like bad weather! And I talk to them too...;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.