Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, November 23, 2009

Tuesday's Show & Tail: Tentative Friendship

What's an old dog supposed to do when a little monster puppy comes into her life. A Corgi puppy is more than just a puppy. A Corgi puppy is a force of nature that has to be dealt with. Maggie, our Shepherd mix, is almost 14 years old and that, folks, is 98yrs old in equivalent human years. She sleeps a lot, has arthritis, can't see or hear very well anymore and has the usual aches and pains that any 98 year old would have.
Carl, the pupster, has none of these problems and doesn't understand or empathize with the "old lady". Its been a rough 6 months.
But, all of a sudden, there has been a change. It is as if Carl has finally reach a level of maturity and understanding about Maggie's age and condition. I don't know exactly when this happened but it could have been the one time that Maggie struck back after Carl, relentlessly, kept biting her tail and her ears and then grabbed her sore back leg. We didn't see everything that happened but Maggie finally "had it" and she swung out and nipped Carl's ear..., hard. Carl was surprised and he ran under our bed. He goes there when he has taken something like a shoe or piece of clothing that he knows he is not supposed to have...., and when he thinks he is in "big trouble". I guess he thought that Maggie was giving him "big trouble" because he just stayed under the bed and wouldn't come to us when we tried to get him to come out.
The next morning he was a much more subdued puppy and when they were up on the sofa I got this photo (above) of Carl's paw on Maggies. I think they finally made their peace with each other.

Carl still has his moments and they can be brutal but mostly, now, they seem to be friends.

The old lady and the one year old. (Carl had a birthday on Nov 11.) Look at them. We love them both...., and now, I think, they will be good friends until Maggie is no longer with us. She will just have to put Carl in his place once in a while and tell him who used to be boss around here back in the day. It's the old generation gap...., even in the dog world.

Please check out West Virginia Treasures for other stories. We hope everyone will join us every Tuesday. Post a picture or two of your pets and tell a little about them! Tuesdays' Show & Tail is about having fun, and giving us a chance to meet other pet owners in the blogging community.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. I'm in. I'll share a pet story a little later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pictures. I am so glad that the dogs are finally making peace with each other. I have no pets but do enjoy reading about other peoples and enjoying my children and grandchildren pets. Have a great day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. Yes, sometimes an older lady just has to put the youngun's in their place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story - and love the entagled paws photo! Thanks for sharing it today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. keeping the pups in check is a big job but one our oldsters takes very seriously! Good job lady !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for joining in this week! Your pictures and your story are just perfect! I had tears in my eyes as I read it. I just love older dogs. There is just a sweetness about them. Maggie sure is a beautiful old lady. I got a kick out of the corgi's name being Carl! lol I have an Uncle named Carl! Carl sure is a handsome looking corgi too!

    Your story reminds me so much of my girls! I have a 10 yr old WV Brown Dog named Two and a 2 yr old corgi named Jazz. Jazz won't leave Two alone and it took a long time but Two finally put her in her place. I was scared for both of them but it all worked out. Jazz is much gentler with Two now. Two was and is such a great mother figure for Jazz! She has taught Jazz so much. I plan on posting about that in the future.

    Tuesdays' Show & Tail!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie had just had enough. It was time to get Carl's attention and let him know who was boss. He cuddled up with her and apologized. What a moment to catch with your camera. You will treasure those photos for years to come.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed so much the past week! Poor Maggie she has had a rough time but good news that Carl is growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.