Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Long, hot day selling gourds on Hiway 49

Summer is here! Too fast, too soon. This is the third day of almost 100 degree weather and I spent the day with three other members of our gourd group selling ( or trying to ) gourds. I've decided that people are being affected by the recession.
We were there this morning at 7.00 a.m. and closed up at 5:00 p.m. It was a long, hot day and people were just not spending their money on much of anything. Other vendors were complaining too. The heat was definitely a factor and there was a car show in Jackson... and it was the weekend of the Calaveras Frog Jumps in Angels Camp, so folks had lots of choices. Those that came to Sutter Creek were having a good time and they certainly wanted to know all about the gourds. They just didn't buy anything. I sold one pin all day. That's discouraging. I worked on finishing and packing all day yesterday. That's not much of a return for the time invested.

We recommended that the 2nd. annual festival, next year, be on a weekend with less going on ( especially something like the Frog Jumps, which are so popular ), and maybe a week before Mother's Day so folks would have more incentive to buy.

So I'm going to take my hot, tired and discouraged body to bed early tonight. It needs to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. That is so sad. And I know how hot it is too (we finally cooled off today). But you might be right about the money--I'm really tightfisted myself right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the money crunch what it is these days, I think many people just aren't spending like they used too. I know we haven't been spending unless it is on something that we really need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read past the adorable goat photos~~I didn't realize the brownies were so sorely needed~~L(Laugh) O (out) L (Loud!). . .yes, this economy is taking it's toll, for many it is becoming a question of "Do I really need this?" and yet if we could just support our local structure or make use of the beautiful things we already have. . .I always try to buy from local farms and this passion to use what we already have and is far better than what could ever be produced is what drives my vintage clothing collection. . . my poor husband!! He would say I'm om my soap dish again and I suppose I am!

    From a fellow farm girl gone vintage!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.