Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bedrock Beauty


I don't think that there is anywhere I'd rather be than panning, on bedrock, in a river....


So far the weather has been mild, which makes these hours on the Mokelumne even more pleasant.


But even when it's hot (which will happen soon), the river has it's own special way of drawing me in.



It's the feeling of being close to water that is moving and alive while I'm safely sitting on ancient rocks that were formed 500 million years ago.

There is always the chance that I will find some gold in my pan but it's not the reason I go to this place.

I find peace here.

It's a place I understand.

"It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;......














It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace."
-Robert Service-















Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I was able to put myself in those pictures because the words of the verse described what I have felt many many times in the solitude of sitting near the running waters of a creek or river listening to the water speak to me. Thank you for taking me there this morning with your photos and the words that you posted.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.