Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A summer storm comes.


Today it was 103 and kind of humid. Awful weather. These are the "dog days of summer" and not pleasant at all.
Tonight I'm sitting here writing a post and there is a storm passing overhead. This is one of the rare storms of summer here in the California Foothills.  First there was a quick downfall of rain, huge heavy drops, and now... thunder and lightening. It's noisy and dramatic. I'm glad I have a roof over my head.
Now the rain stopped. The thunder is more distant, but still the lightening lights up the dark windows.
I ran outside a while ago and grabbed the pillows from the chairs, thinking we were going to have a lot of rain, but the quick downpour was it... for now. Maybe we will get more later.
When I was feeding the chickens earlier and putting Annie in the garage for the night, I took these photos of the clouds . Enjoy!
The evening sky was so beautiful.
These were sun rays coming from the west.
This was looking down our road toward the south.
There was a dark streak in the sky that stood out against the white billowy clouds.
It looked strange and mysterious, like a huge bird or a alien spaceship cloaked in darkness.
The sun was setting into the huge clouds. The quick rain didn't cool the intense heat of the day.
Maybe tomorrow morning will be cooler.
I hope so. This is too hot and humid for California.

9 comments:

  1. What was it the weatherman said on the news recently .... this is summer ... it is supposed to be hot.... but this part of CA summer lasts for about 6 months, probably won't cool down til October. Hope you don't get any lightning strikes. Have had 4 fires in the area recently fortunately Cal Fire got them out quickly, between 20 to 50 acres, no buildings lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of the clouds are beautiful. Hope the rain cooled you guys down some. We have lots of thunder and lightning here during the summer. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that grey cloud is very mysterious...nice capture of it...love the light streaming through the clouds too...ugh on the heat....stay cool..and i hope more rain comes to cool it off for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love cloud gazing as well, Connie...that one with the long dark streak is really something! When I was in Ireland I thought, "they have the most beautiful clouds here." Must have something to do with geography and light...nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing cloud pictures - I love to see if I can find different shapes of animals or whatever, up in the sky! Thanks for sharing those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos! I don't like the heat and thank goodness we don't get a lot of humidity very often; that really makes the heat miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found you via Pauline at The Paddock. Your photos are magnificent, I look forward to learning more of your part of this wonderful world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if it's that hot there you might as well come and visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are beautiful. I love skies like that. So sorry to read about your loss.
    Sending you loving hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.