It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: "From whence arrived the praying mantis? From outer space, or lost Atlantis?~Ogden Nash~






8 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Wow, Those are great photos! I always find these amazing beings jaw-dropping. I still remember the first time I saw one as a child. It really opened my eyes to more wonders of the world, expanded my entire view of it. Ogden Nash got it right in his view of them. They seem other-worldly.

Brian Miller said...

nice..mantises are so cool...we get them some...but last year seemed a larger amount and found a bunch of real little ones...nice captures...

castlewon said...

good to see those guys (gals?) again, thanks

Thyra said...

Hello! Such amazing pictures of a praying mantishave I never seen before! It's really a special animal. My son (he's a scientist) told me about a video on Youtube where a mantis takes a humming bird. I don't want to watch it - I just wanted to tell you. I didn't know it could be so dangerous.
I saw your previous post with the poor little bird. I would also have taken it from the cat. I'll bet the cat looked astonished! Although the bird looks wounded it might be well again.
Grethe `)

Madeline's Album said...

Great Photos. You are a very talented lady whether in crafts or photography. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Jody said...

Haven't seen one in years - so these images were a treat, thank you!

Dianne said...

AWESOME photos!!! In the last one, he looks a little prehistoric! Hope you're having a great week...

Lorraine Young Pottery said...

I would love to see one in person. Otherworldly insect, your photos are outstanding!

Lorraine