Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Birthday "D". I'm home and all is well.

I have returned from my amazing trip to Montana. I need some time to assimilate the journey, the  perspective  and the depth of emotion that has become a part of me.
First of all I want to wish my friend "D" a very happy birthday. I wish I  had made my reservations to extend a few more days so we could have celebrated this day together but I think that we did CELEBRATE for 12 wonderful days and, after all, we did have to get back to our lives at some point so I guess Monday was as good as any day to return. My mind and heart are still in the Montana mountains and I can feel the magic of that beautiful country lingering all around me....and the dear friend that I didn't want to leave.
We have known each other for so long.....
 "D" gave me this photo when we spent some time looking through an album of pictures that dated back to our high school days. This one was taken about 1959 at an airport that we both worked at in Concord, CA. We are so young, about 15 maybe. "D" was home for the summer. She stayed for a year of high school and then she was off again to another foreign country until she came back to go to college. We were so young and filled with possibilities.
Now, we have shed the skin of youth...
and grown older....
We are fifty years from that charming, unbaked youth. We are in our "golden" years. Well "cooked", grayed and wrinkled, but more relaxed in our being....more warmth than blazing fire. This is a friendship of time and enduring comradeship, and now, new memories.
I have so much to tell....
This is Henny.... resident hen at "D"s home. She welcomed me the first morning as we sat on the edge of the porch and discussed life in this high Montana valley. She is a very educated chicken in the ways of country life and caretaker to an old rooster that shares her life.. here. She loves to sit on "D"s lap and so it began.... sitting in the sun, talking about our lives, enjoying the view. It was a "chicken in your lap" kind of vacation with spurts of amazing activity. Over the next week I will have stories to tell and pictures to post.
This is where the story radiates from....a hand built home in the northwest corner of Montana.
This is the pilgrimage I took. This is my dear friend's life and I'm so glad that we have made the effort to maintain this sisterhood of years.
Happy Birthday "D". I miss you... but I will come back soon... with the Prospector... and some Ben and Jerry's ice cream..... and we'll all go fishin'.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you are back! Happy Birthday to "D" Sounds like an awesome trip. I love the chicken in your lap too.

    Looking forward to reading about the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see you are back home - and even happier to hear that you had a wonderful trip!
    I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back...I shant say 'home' because looks like you have other homes where your heart lives. You girls sure were stylish and glowing with youth! I think now you are aged like fine wines do! You are lucky to have such a deep and long lived friendship. I think that's a sign of good character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday D and what a beautiful home!!!!
    I cant wait to see and read more of this wonderful trip!!!!!
    Ear scratches to you know WHOM's
    Love and grits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely "introduction" to this treasured friendship. There may be a few miles under the feet, but the smiles are just as bright as when you both were 15!

    I'm looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit, and I'm so happy that you got the chance to spend some quality time with your D!
    But selfish me is kind of glad that you're back...
    You were missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're home safe and that you had a great time! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures are truly something to cherish. And its great to have such a long and good friendship. I have a friend I met in high school, and we are friends to this very day. Even when we don't get together often, it feels like never a day was missed between us. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun trip Connie! Those connections are so precious, I'm so glad you gave each other. You two were hot little chicks! Okay, still are! Hugs, Riki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your friend"D". Happy birthday to her. Your photos are great and I am looking forward to reading more about your trip. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful journey of re-connection, so glad it sounds as if it exceeded your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Love the then and now pictures! And Donna's home...just...Wow. How beautiful.

    Glad you are back and had such a great trip. Knew you would, knew you would!
    smoochas
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.