It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Poem

My sorrow, when she's here with me,
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be;
She loves the bare, the withered tree;
She walks the sodden pasture lane. R. Frost
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Chef E said...

Are we on the same brain wave or what? I have another one I am putting up Monday, so how about we call it Muse Mondays? We will link to each other when we do it?

This is beautiful, I cannot help but words come to mind when I look at photos like this, and the rain begins...or should I say flood!

Eve said...

One of my mom's favorite poets! Thanks Farmlady! A perfect photo got go with it!

Eve said...

Oh and that new header is OUTSTANDING!!!! Looks like here!!!

LV said...

Beautiful picture and a perfect verse for it. No cooking for today? I let you off once. Take care.

Jo said...

Beautiful poem Elly Mae. You are one that seems to post just what I am in need of hearing at just the right time. It has been a rough summer. The Dr found a tumor on Mel's uterus and is doing an exploratory surgery the 14th of this month. She is doing such a good job of being strong for her little family. I am hoping and praying that all will be alright. She is Chris and the kids world. Love ya Elly Mae.

Madeline's Album said...

Wonderful photo and beautiful poem. Have a great day. Madeline

Karen Deborah said...

love the picture hope your not sad, but if you are--here is a virtual hug.
yeah I know I like mine better with some umph to it.

Barbee' said...

I had never read that one of Frost's, thank you, and for the poignant photo.