Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, November 23, 2009

Moment of Crazy Pre-Holiday Insight


When I walk outside and see the Ginko tree with yellow-gold leaves sparkling with rain water....

And the

Toyon berries dripping with diamond like droplets ....



..., and then the Chinese Talon turns all these shades of red and the yellow finches sit like ornaments in between the leaves against the blue sky of morning. I hear myself thinking..., nature decorates the season. What could I add to make this more beautiful? What store bought decoration could I hang that would enhance the beauty of this season? Nothing.
I see all the Christmas decor filling the stores and ,I must admit, I'm tempted to buy more. I have boxes filled with decorations, accumulated over the years, waiting to be opened and yet I see something that I think I have to buy, bring home and add to the over abundance of "things" that I already have. What is this obsession? This need to add one more thing. To embellish beyond the point of reason.
I know I need to stay away from the stores. Even in a small town there is an inordinate amount of seasonal selling. I just stopped off at our local thrift shop and left three more bags of items that I told myself I didn't need anymore. Why then, did I immediately drive to Wal-mart and , even though I went for dog food and chicken scratch, I pushed my cart down the CHRISTMAS isle and picked up four little "frame" ornaments. Of course! I needed them! They are just perfect for the new photos of my grandchildren and our newly adopted nephew. Of course! They are cute , red and.., well., there were only 4 left..., so I bought them all.
I did resist the set of outdoor lights that look like blue icicles( I know I have some white icicle lights somewhere)and I don't NEED blue icicle lights...., but wouldn't they be pretty across the front porch.? Blue, sparkle, dazzle..., lifting the porch ,at night, to a whole new level of luminous elegance. But..., what would the dogs think, on their nightly run outside? Would these blue lights scare the cat up onto the roof again? What would Brownie have to say about BLUE LIGHTS? Probably don't need to buy them.... I'll go find the old ones..., the clear icicles that make the porch look just lovely...., they are in the garage somewhere. I just have to find them...., somewhere......, in there.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. This will be the first time in 4 years that we have put up a few decorations in our home. We worked on doing that Sunday, just a few things - and did some re-organizing, which felt good. But, I know what you mean about thinking you need to add to what you already have - been there, done that - and still, pack up things for the Salvation Army store from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.