Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Friday, August 28, 2009

Take Me to the River


If I get any warning a few hours before leaving this earth, I will get into the car and drive myself to this river. This is the place I want to close my eyes on for the last time. Not because there are no other more beautiful places on earth, but because this place has my footprints and part of my soul. The Mokelumne River is , other than the Prospector, my soul mate. I want to die sitting on a big rock, in the middle of this river, with my pants rolled up over my knees and a gold pan in my hand. I will see a large gold nugget glimmering in the water, reach for it and take my last breath...
Morbid?...,maybe, but how many of you know where you want to be at the end. How many of you know what brings you such joy.

'The Pupster isn't quite as convinced but he doesn't think about things like that. He just goes along for the ride.
Carl gets in the water, now, without having to be coaxed and he thinks it's the biggest adventure that there ever was. Carl is 10 mo's old now. He's getting bigger and braver near what must seem like a huge amount of water to him. He doesn't like to get in too deep and it's still a slow process..., one paw at a time.

Look at you Carl! Wet, sandy, ready for the next big adventure. What an expression! Wish we could all look at life like this. It's a lesson to be learned and a joy to see in a wee dog with short legs.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. The pupster is getting so big and he's a wonderful dog! I am not so looking for my last experience here as to my first experience THERE!! To see my sweet Jesus.. ah sigh...what a day that will be.
    Your river is lovely, I felt like that about Fish Creek up in Mammoth Co. What a river. There is nothing quite so refreshing as a good clean river and some granite rocks. Yes yes, add to that the love of your life and a good dog, near as perfect as this life can be.

    I love your new header is that a picture of your momma or you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. Your dog is so cute : ) Sweet as can be! What a fantastically pretty place. I love that you have this special place in your life and all those lovely memories. I am stopping over from Fresh Fixin blog tonight. I thought you left her a sweet comment about her little kitten : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're confusing me. I was thinking the mountain, but now I don't know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i'm with you. I'm for near the water, preferably the ocean but I'll take a soft rolling river or stream. I don't care either way as long as it is water. I love everything about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some times the smallest dogs are the bravest-our 13lb. Button is absolutely fearless, frighteningly so in fact!
    I would love to pan gold with you in that beautiful river, what a peaceful way to pass a day! I think Button & Carl would have a great time too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post. Great pictures. California has some very pretty rivers and scenery, especially northern California. Have a great day, Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just got back from six days on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, rafting about 75 miles. There is something fundamental and renewing about being in and on our rivers. Meanwhile, EBMUD still wants to flood the river near your home. But we're working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. carl is a corgie??? he is adorable and growing up so fast!
    Love your river and what a wonderful place to pick:) I think my back yard would suit me...i spend alot of time there so like squirt ... it woudl be just right.
    Did i mention that carl is adorable scratch him behind the ears forme :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "A thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever" It's wonderful that you found that beautiful place in your life! And that Carl is getting to be a handsome feller too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in NM , but CA has probably the most beautiful scenery anywhere. Your river must hold such significance to you. The pictures are so pretty. And that cute little doggie is a handsome fellow! I'm off to visit more of your site, I've been a bad bloggy friend.
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty dog Carl is. Just beautiful and he has such a kind expression. The river is beautiful, I have never seen one so clear! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carl is one smiling pupster. He us such a doll and getting so brave now. I'll have to think on the place I'd like to draw my last breath. That is something I've never thought about. There are places I want to go to again, but I do know I'd like to be around the water...

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.