It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Friday, May 1, 2009

Sanctuary

Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing
There is a field...
I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass
The world is too full to talk about. —Rumi
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Mike Golch said...

great thought.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Beautiful

Laura ~Peach~ said...

can't wait to see you there :)

jojo said...

beautiful way to start the weekend!

Roslyn Atwood said...

I have mentioned that I love poetry, but rarely have time to read it so I love to visit your blog & read your little bits!

Madeline's Album said...

Lovely poem and beautiful picture. Have a blessed Sunday. Madeline

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Sooooooooo beautiful . . .

I have caught up with your posts (how do I get so behind?) but keep returning to this one. It speaks to me so deeply. I have such a soft spot for meadows green and shady laced with invitation to linger with a friend. Simply beautiful . . .

I believe I shall name this my favorite post over all the good ground I have covered. : D