Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Friday, September 12, 2008

I need a vacation....., in the tropics.

I want you to look at this photo (above) closely. I took it from quite a distance up the road and it's not a very clear picture. It was the end of a really hot day and everything was very still and quiet. I saw movement down on the road near my favorite tree, the old druid, and I walked down a little closer to see what it was. As my eyes focused on the road I stopped and backed up. I saw a snake lying very still, not moving except for small vibrations once in a while. At first I thought it might be a big lizard because it's head was larger than a snakes. It was only about 12' to maybe 15' long. I wondered if we had accidently run over it coming home earlier in the day and maybe it wasn't dead yet. I always watch for critters coming across the road. I should have one of those signs that says "I BREAK FOR ......" you know. Mine would have to say "I break for ANYTHING." because I do. The prospector says that someday I'm going to cause a bad accident because of my inability to drive down a road without trying to avoid every living creature that tries to cross the road in front of my car. I don't find this behavior unusual at all., If I'm going to break for some crazy, jaywalking, risk-taking, " Haven't got time to walk to the corner and use the light" fool, why wouldn't I stop for some poor, innocent Tarantula looking for love in all the wrong places. Some people just need to get their priorities straight.
Anyway, back to the snake... I walked slowly down the road toward it, thinking how badly I was going to feel if it was dying because we ran over it. We have had so much snake killing this summer that I just couldn't take one more....., and that's when he lifted his head, switched his tale at me and said, "Chee,chee,chee."
That darned squirrel was just taking a rest in the middle of the road. I took a picture just before he stretched and jumped into the dry grass and flew up the side of the Old Druid. I had been decieved by a squirrel. I'm surprised that he didn't have a little lawn chair and some iced tea. He was all spread out like he was getting a suntan at the beach. I think I'm the one who needs a vacation.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. This is funny! I'm sending you a picture of a fuzzy rat I snapped this last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow he really did look like a snake in the first pic. We have all sorts of those guys running amok here... especially since I've started feeding them. WHAT WAS I THINKING? I was trying to keep them out of the bird feeders :-p

    I'm glad it wasn't a snake you had there, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a life that is seldom if ever boring....don't you. Just leave it to those critters to keep things interesting.

    I am the same way about braking for everything that crosses my path. JD and I just had a discussion about this the other day. There was a car coming toward us and a turkey crossing the road in front of us and JD just kept going without slowing down. He used an old argument about swerving to miss a critter causes accidents. With that I had to mention that slowing down for them really doesn't have ill effects for anyone concerned.

    {{{{MEN}}}} They just don't get it do they!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they will flatten out on the wall here with their legs hanging down its hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a relief, you have shown us enough rattlers to amke me jumpy just to come readin,...whew

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.