It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The lovely Hanna Blue

I could'nt resist buying this fuchsia when I was buying bedding plants a few days ago. This is a "Hanna Blue" hybrid Fuchsia. Isn't it beautiful? I love it's graceful presence in my garden but they don't have a long life here. I think I have a green thumb most of the time but buying a fuchsia has always been a bit like: " Yes, it is beautiful isn't it. I'm going to pay you some money and take it home with me so I can slowly watch it die." I have never had one that survive this foothill heat in the summer. Never! So, I have a plan.( It worked for Brownie goat). Yesterday I planted it in a hanging basket with really good planting mix. Then, I hung it on my front porch. It's high enough that it will only get early morning sun. I will remember to water it religiously and maybe, hopefully, it will make it through the summer. I may even talk to it. A little encouragement never hurts.
This morning I went out to admire the lovely "Hanna Blue". She looked just fine. She likes her new digs. She didn't say this in so many words, but I could tell. She even had company. During the night one of our little "porch" frogs took up residence under her branches. This is a good sign.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

castlewon said...

I remember a time fuchsias grew in profusions in gardens all over the Bay Area. I had several, myself. Then a new disease hit. Now I have none. Enjoy!

Jo said...

Beautiful flower you have there. It seems as if I can plant something in the ground and it will most likely do ok, but if I put it in a pot it is like giving it the death sentence.

andeblauwe said...

hi,

I am a paintress and my artists name is Hannablue.

http://www.hannablue.exto.nl

greetings and take care of the flower.