It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Myself

A River Far Away and Long Ago

The river
of my childhood,
that tumbled 
down a passage of rocks

and cut-work ferns,
came here and there
to the swirl
and slowdown

of a pool 
and I saw myself...
oh, clearly...
as I knelt at one... 

then I saw myself
as if carried away,
as the river moved on
Where have I gone?

Since then
I have looked and looked
 for myself,
not sure

who I am, or where,
or, more importantly, why.
It's okay...
I have had a wonderful life.

Still, I ponder
where that other is...
where I landed,
what I thought, what I did,

what small or even maybe meaningful deeds
I might have accomplished
somewhere
among strangers,

coming to them
as only a river can...
touching every life it meets...
that endlessly kind, that enduring.

~Mary Oliver~

9 comments:

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Connie as I was reading this I thought what a wonderful poet you are, kind of similar to Mary Oliver!!
xx
julie

LV said...

A great presentation of thoughts and memories we all could think about. Nicely done.

Brian Miller said...

that is a really cool verse by mary oliver...is that a pic of you? that is a really cool picture...

Teresa Evangeline said...

Simply beautiful.

It's an ongoing "theme" for me lately, asking what has my life really been about, what have I done with my time that's of substance. Mary Oliver always says it best.

Love this post.

Madeline's Album said...

Another outstanding Post. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Your new header is wise both in words and the eyes of Cutter(?)...
The words in your post make me wonder myself...I needed a thoughtful place to go today. thanks Connie.

Suz said...

thumbs up....and you are one gorgeous kid

Debora said...

What a beautiful new header you have! And I always love to read Mary Oliver's work. Have a good weekend!

Whosyergurl said...

John Muir, Mary Oliver?
sigh.
we think alike, my sister.
xo, Cheryl