Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

'Tis the Season... I think.

 Yes, 'tis the season...Just not sure WHAT season it is.
Mother Nature is still doing her lovely Autumn thing and it's nine days until the first day of winter.
Fall is trying to cover up the sweet Alyssum of summer without much success.
The Mexican Sage is blooming its purple flowers off.
And the white roses look better than they did all summer.
I think the Christmas decorations feel a little out of place. My "snow" effect doesn't even give me that hot chocolate and marshmallow feeling. Maybe I should take it off the blog.
The sun is shinning. It's beautiful and warm during the day.
I know this is California, but I think it needs to start acting like Winter... and soon.
So I discussed this with the tired cone flowers,
the struggling Sunflower,
and the bedraggled Boston fern.
We've decided to postpone Christmas until January 25.
There is never anything to do in January. We sit around and worry about "resolutions" and  loosing weight. We get depressed. It's a tough month.
I'm not ready for Christmas anyway. The weather is confused and so is my garden.
Who says that Christmas has to be on the 25th of December?
Let's give ourselves another month. Then we will ALL really be ready.
Are you with me on this?

9 comments:

  1. Hear! Hear! I think that's a fine idea. It was a made up date anyway, so why not make up our own? And by made up I mean it's celebrated the wrong time of year. Some say the shepherds could not have been in their fields in December, more like July in Nazareth, so

    Am I being too technical? I'm more of a spirit of Christmas every day kind of person. Wouldn't that be loverly? Well, with no big meals and relatives non-stop it would be.

    Now I sound like Scrooge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. nice argument but i dont think it will slow down christmas...it was very warm here yesterday...been a crazy weather year...why is it i feel we will pay for that later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite sure if we should put Christmas off until January. I am ready for it now. From you pictures I see how it may not feel like Christmas for you with all the flowers still blooming, they are quite pretty. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan 25 ~ my vote’s with you and the plants! Every winter forecast I’ve heard for the entire contiguous 48 is that it’s going to be a severe winter. Well, so far it’s a dud. My beautiful Michigan snow of 5 days ago only lasted a day and a half and now the temps are rising; like to 47F tomorrow. We are 13.5 inches below normal for snow and there’s not a flake in sight until maybe Christmas eve eve. One of the mums I cut back at the end of Oct has NEW BUDS!!! If Michigan can’t do any better than this, I might just have to think about moving back to California. ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just toasted my fern the other night :-(. It's been so warm here that I never even thought to bring it in off the porch. I feel awful.

    Your bunny on your header is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should have Christmas from now until Jan 25th! Spread it out a bit...one day just isn't enough. It's been cold here so with the woodstove going 24/7, it feels like December!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorta ready for Christmas now, but what if everybody celebrated whenever they were ready? Then we'd have Christmas all year long somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK with me since I ain't done nuthin .....yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. same feeling here. We've been calling it Christmas month, trying to enjoy all of it. Might continue it into January--my cousin's coming to visit. That's a gift right there

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.