Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Making My Own Heaven


My oldest grandchild and I are making traditions. We are making the memories that will be a part of him long after I'm cease to be a presence in this world..., and we are having so much fun. Like Burger King says on their cups: Have it your way. "Maybe you want a lot of ice. maybe you want no ice. Maybe you want your lid securely fastened, or maybe you want to go topless. Hmmmm? Maybe you want to mix Coke* and Sprite*....," That's what the Bean did. He wanted some Sprite* with a little Coke* in it. I like my Coke* straight.
Grandmas have lots of options. I get to "spoil" my little grandchildren. I get to have all the fun. It's like the "reward" for all the hard work of raising your children and sending them out into the world. It's like icing on the Valentine cookies.

Spiderman came with the "kids" meal and he got way out of control. We tried putting him in The Bean's back pocket but he escaped. Then he got in Bean's hair and tried to hide inside Bean's shirt. We couldn't even eat our lunch. It was like having Carl, the pupster,with us. Finally we put him in a zip locked bag and left him in the car. He was just fine in there. No wonder Spiderman likes to climb and jump from building to building. He's got a "puppy worm" inside of him.
After we had lunch we drove over to Martinez and went to the Marina. It was a beautiful day and we had so much fun. I was feeling kind of bad that we didn't take Baby Bean with us too but one grandchild is about all Noni can handle in one afternoon. So we will have to work on building memories with him another day.
The Bean threw sticks, retrieved branches from the lake, looked for duck eggs, ran a lot and kept saying, "Come on Noni, lets go down this trail." and " I want to go this way, Noni. Can we go here?" and Noni is saying.., " Bean! Wait! .., wait for Noni." , "Bean, you're getting you shoes wet.", "Lets sit down for a few minutes.", "Oh, Bean. Do we have to walk clear to the River? Can't we play right here?"..,and he would say, "Sure Noni, but where does this place go?" and he'd be off again.
If I took care of my grandchildren all the time, I would be skinny and I'd take a lot of naps. But we had a great time and I love this little boy. We are making memories and I wouldn't trade any of this for anything..., ever.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. This is a precious, precious post. I see the love and fun in every word. How very lucky your grandson is.

    I had a grandmother like you once, and it made my lifetime. I think of her every single day, still. I don't know what I would be had my grandmother not loved me the way she did.

    All this to say, You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time!!! My boys are 21 & 16....I miss those little people!!


    KAREN EILEEN

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day with your Bean... with lots of sweet memories for the future!
    I'll be seeing my little guys in April, and I just can't wait to see them again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I understand this completely! It's so fulfilling to know that those memories will be there for them even when you can't!
    Enjoy every minute of your visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lucky little Bean and a very lucky Noni. I look forward to having my own grandkids someday...until then, thanks for sharing your beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How precious the time is that we get to spend with the Grand babies making memories. I believe that to be a reward too. Taryn used to walk slow when she was a itty bitty thing, watching every step so she wouldn't fall while Britt and Oop ran ahead. Taryn would look up at me and tell me how wonderful it was that she had a Grandma that walked slow just like her. Have a blessed day Ellie Mae.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post and the pictures are just great. Yes we tend to spoil our grandchildren but that is what grandparents are for. Continue making memories with them. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish my grand kids lived closer...I'd be doin the same thing! Last summer my oldest grand daughter spent a week with us, and we had such fun pickin strawberries and doin chores - it's more fun when you do things with a child! More work, too, but - it's so worth the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun to live a day through the eyes of a child! A bit tiring but oh so much fun...Bean sounds like he would have agreed with Tolkien..."Not all who wander are lost".

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.