It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Visitor

Late one night I was working at my computer desk and this moth flew right past my face and landed on a folder. It startled me. It must have come into the house when I went outside with Carl before bedtime. Since mine was the only light that was on in a dark house it was naturally drawn to my desk.
Pretty little thing. I looked it up in the field guide and I'm sure it's a Tiger Moth of some kind; maybe a "spotted" one. I should have caught and taken it outside but I didn't. I just finished what I was doing, turned the light off and went to bed. Now, I can't find it.









Maybe tonight it will come flying toward the lamplight, again, and I can help it find its way back outside where it belongs. Did you know that moths can hear? They have a "hearing" organ, called a Tympanum, on each side of the thorax. Amazing! Was he listening to me.


He (I'm guessing..., it could be a "she") stayed for a long time and even when I touched him he stayed. We had a "moment" this moth and I. Even when I least expect that something will happen..., something does.
It might be what Mary Oliver refers to as the "greatest gift"....,"Could it be the world itself?"...,"That you have a life that I wonder about more than I wonder about my own." and her instructions for living one's life:
"Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it...."
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Simple life.. simple pleasures.
I love that you shared this with us all! :)
There's beauty all around us, if only we take the time to look, isn't there?

Jan Ely said...

A little birdie told me she's hiding in your favorite cashmere sweater. Oops, it's gone (the sweater AKA breakfast lunch & dinner). Too late!

Madeline's Album said...

A little moth one of God's creations can remind us of the simple things of life. As I grow older I marvel at all of God's creations. I thank him for the beauty he has created and for the friends he has sent my way. Have a great evening. Madeline

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love love love :)

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi Connie, my book is unfinished, sitting in a bag as well. And I'm posting this! Yikes. Maybe it will inspire me to finish that too?? Thanks for stopping by, that is a BIG moth! Take care.

Roslyn said...

A while back I read a wonderful novel about a woman who studied moths & I learned amazing facts about these creatures. We have HUGE moths in CO. bigger than the humming birds.They have very interesting lives.........

Roslyn said...

Maybe you could have trimmed both & he would have been more balanced? Does it hurt them? I didn't think so but I have a hard time remembering back when Dad used to have to trim the cow's horns at times.