Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gettin' busy- gettin' motivated

Yesterday the gourd group met at the library and set up our annual display. We do this every year to let the community know what we do and who we are...., and to just plain show off. We have such fine artists in our club (Amador County Gourders) and we love to show folks what we do. Next Thursday we will have our monthly meeting at the library and anyone can join us, ask questions and find out what it is that all these crazy people do with gourds. We end up showing people that gourd art is fun , beautiful and profitable (well, sometimes). The display case looks really good. Everyone who contributed should be really pleased with it.

So, all of a sudden I realized that I was spending way too much time with the goats, the garden and the computer. With two shows coming up next month I had better get hoppin'. So here's my mess. These are the bit's and pieces of what will become pins, wall hangings, ornaments and gourds of a different color. I have two weeks before the first show : the Amador Artists Open Studios Art Tour on Sept. 20 & 21. For the first time ever, we have been invited to be a part of this tour. It's really exciting! But, in order for this to go well ,you have to have some finished gourds to display and that's what I need to do. ..., finish something.

Right now I have pieces of gourd, leather dyes, drills, sandpaper, my new mask (to keep the gourd dust at bay) and tons of embellishments. I have found the all time best scissors for cutting detail work. The Cutter Bee is great for small neat cutting. I have 3 pairs. I get mine at Wall Mart. They are the least expensive there. About $7.00, ( I'm guessing), and they have a safety cover. If you do any kind of scrapbooking, or paper work you have got to get a pair of these.

Ok! Got my gourd pieces, good idea books, glue, scraps and I'm motivated. Being motivated in your 60's is very important. It helps you keep moving and thinking: because after 60 you've got to put one foot in front of the other and get a little crazy. If you don't, the "powers that be" may think you don't want to be here anymore. I certainly don't want that to happen. I've got too many things to do first. Fair warning to all you "young'uns" out there. You've got time on your side, so if you have something you want to do. DO IT.

Well..., I'm going to start drilling and scraping the guts out of another gourd in the garage. Sounds kind of maniacal doesn't it? But it's fun! Ha,ha,ha,ah,ah! Want to join me? Halloween is just around the corner. Summer is almost over!!!!! Yes! Life is good and ..., Oh no, the chickens are heading for my garden. I've got to go and head them off at the pass. See you tomarrow......
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. ahh... I love that manacle side slipping out. How fun, gourds in the garage. My daughter would absolutely love scraping all that mess out of the gourds. Making a mess to be creative - that is what she is all about!
    Have fun
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elly Mae the display is beautiful. I had no idea that so much could be done with gourds. See... you have taught me something. It's true, I really don't know everything. What a relief to find that out. All of that responsibility as keeper of all knowledge was a lot of responsibility....lol Seriously those gourds are beautiful pieces of art.

    I really liked the post yesterday. That field is so inviting. On a beautiful sunshiney day, I could cautiously lay down in that field and watch the clouds float by, while keeping an eye out for snakes that might come my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are going to be busy getting your gourds ready for the show. My husband and I were in the craft business for a while, mostly woodwork, he cut and I tolepainted I even did a couple of gourds (Santa Claus). Your display case looked very nice. Good luck on your up coming shows. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being crafty! I wish I were there to lend you a hand. The gourds look wonderful... can't wait to see more pics of finished products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is very cool! What are all the different types of gourds you all are decorating? I am growing my (first ever) crop of birdhouse gourds this year and was just admiring their cuteness yesterday evening. Of course, I have no clue what to do with them once they're done growing, but I figured I'd tackle that when the time came.
    I'd love to see your finished products! Good luck getting it all done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see what beautiful things you make! Love the dark blue one with the feathers! Now get off the computer!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.