Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Drive to Volcano

Ten years ago we lived here. This is the little "mother lode" town of Volcano, Ca. We rented a house here for three years before we built the home we're in now. This is the most charming town, in the middle of nowhere, that I have ever seen. I'ts east of Sutter Creek and north of Pine Grove and anyway you get to it is winding, slow and very scenic. I was working at Pine Grove Elementary school when we lived here and I use to joke about the long commute from our house to Pine Grove. It was 6 or 7 miles and sometimes I didn't pass one car until I got to hiway 88. Quite a change from Bay Area traffic and an ugly 40 mile commute.
Yesterday we had to drive up 88 to Buckhorn and Mace Meadows so, on our way back, we decided to have lunch in Volcano. It hasn't changed much. You can still stand in the middle of the street and take pictures without worrying about getting hit by a car. Your bigger concern would be a large Buck or a Mountain Lion. It still seems that way.
It was very quiet yesterday . We had lunch at Humble Pies and , yes, they have really good pies and they are very humble about it. And ...., yes, there was a dog sleeping out on the sidewalk.

It was very hot so we ate inside. We ate and reminisced about the car shows, and crab feeds we enjoyed there, and the summer evenings when everyone would bring wine, a picnic dinner (and friends) and sit on the lawn in the amphitheater while watching a wonderful play.
Everybody knew you and Rosie( that's her bench ) ,who had lived there all her life and now lives in a nursing home, would sit on her bench and wave to everyone who went by. I mean everyone, even if she didn't know who it was.
Such good memories. Doesn't seem like 10 years. Where did all those years go? Where DID they go?
It's a charming little town that the world hasn't found ..., yet. I always thought that the old building ( see photo above) ,that looked like it had sunk into the dirt, seemed to be slowly dissappearing like many little towns in the mother lode area of the Sierra's. I sure hope Volcano stays untouched for a long time. It's like stepping back to the 1800's.
So, if you ever come up to this part of California please drive a little further and visit Volcano. You'll love it!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. it looks so wonderful, My kind of place. I love rosies bench too bad she is not able to occupy it any longer.
    love the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you, I feel like I have visited Volcano. Such a lovely little town. I join you in hoping that Volcano remains untouched and stays the same as it is right now. I remember saying that about the town where my children live. Unfortunately time has caught up with it and it has changed to keep up with the times. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we used to own a lot at Pine Mountain Lake, so we knew the area around Highway 49 a little bit. Also used Highway 88 to get to Indian Grinding Rocks/Silver Lake/Tahoe campgrounds. Were also looking in Gold Country for a place to settle before moving to Dunsmuir. That was 30 years ago. I'm amazed how some of these towns have grown! Nice to hear about them, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.