It was, as I have said, a fine autumnal day; the sky was clear and serene, and nature wore that rich and golden livery which we always associate with the idea of abundance. The forests had put on their sober brown and yellow, while some trees of the tenderer kind had been nipped by the frosts into brilliant dyes of orange, purple, and scarlet.... As Ichabod jogged slowly on his way, his eye... ranged with delight over the treasures of jolly autumn. ~Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th Of July

"Independence: An achievement, not a bequest"
Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)

7 comments:

Jill said...

Happy 4th of July. I hope you enjoy your day:)

Brian Miller said...

happy 4th of july! yes, i am not as dour as my post may seem, just like to make sure we think on what it is we celebrate...smiles. love that quote!

Madeline's Album said...

I hope you had a blessed and safe Fourth of July. I like the quote and your photo. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I hope you're having a wonderful holiday!

Debora said...

What a great quote; and I love your whiskey barrel of coneflowers (I think that's what they are anyway.) Your California style garden sometimes makes this wet weather Washingtonian envious! Happy 4th!

Eve said...

A perfectly patriotic picture!! Thanks farmlady!!

Hayley said...

Pretty picture! Hope you enjoyed your holiday...Have a great week!