Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Monday, June 13, 2011

A Place of Her Own

I went into the back garden this morning. This is behind the house near our bedroom. There use to be lawn here.. and then a small plastic pool... and then a pool made of plastic that had a filter. Now the lawn is gone and so are the pools, that were always nice on hot summer afternoons, but were forever clogged with debris and dirt... not to mention being a Bed & Breakfast for Mosquito's.
So the area has become a place for pots: Pots of blueberries,  containers of succulents, tomatoes... and my wonderful. sweet  Basilicum.. growing bigger each day in the early summer sunshine. Waiting for its transformation into Pesto. Can you smell it?
The tomatoes are somewhat behind this year.
This tomato will grow to the top of this wired cage and flow over in a month or so, but its been shivering in the cold and we even had to pinch some frostbitten, curled black leaves a few weeks back.
All of these pots will have to be moved around in the yard, soon, because this lovely, FLAT area is getting a makeover. It's going to share space with the little building of my dreams... A POTTING SHED.


I'm collecting ideas...
and reading serious books on the subject...
I would like this to be my own little place to pot plants and start seeds... but even more... this will be a place of solitude and reflection.
I want a table to write on and a comfortable chair to sit in.
and a wall for tools, baskets for gloves and shelves for pots. It will also have windows to see the view from and, maybe, even a pretty, old rug on the floor.
SO MANY IDEAS!
SO MANY PLANS!
This is something I have wanted for years. The Prospector is going to build it for me, bless his gold seeking heart. I will help.  It will be a simple structure and small. I will add the "Farmlady" stuff  later.
There will be flowers, garden art, and COLOR.
There may even be an outdoor table for really messy jobs.... like felting? Well, maybe but...
I should probably stick to garden projects.
And I want a bike like this...
A used up and retired bike, like this one, above, that is painted purple to match my French lavender and the joyful songs of the birds. Isn't birdsong purple?  Well...whatever it is... to me, it feels like PURPLE.

And why not a miniature faerie garden on a rusty iron chair. Who knows what little creatures might come to live here.
My wonderful little potting shed will settle in here somewhere between the Chitalpa tree and the Chinese Tallow. These trees will shade the little house in the dog days of summer and this is where we can tap into water and electricity at the corner of the house. Yes, I will have electricity... and maybe even a chandelier.
It will be a dream that is practical and yet where I can let go of life's irritations, plunge my hands into  good dirt or sit quietly doing nothing if I so choose. It will be a place of my own, my "man cave" of the gardening world.... my garden getaway.
A blogging friend that shares the love of gardens and nature says...
"I believe you have to look for the joy factor wherever you are and whatever you do." *
She says that having a sense of wonder isn't age-specific.
I love this statement.
Doing something that you truly love is so important.
This garden shed will be part of the "joy factor" in my life.

Quote is from an article in Country Gardens Early Spring 2011
Garden of Earthly Delights- author Sharon Lovejoy written by Debra Prinzing

11 comments:

  1. Pure magic . . . fairytale wonder . . . potting shed dreams are so important. Thank you for the little peek. I can't wait to see the reality replace the dream (thus making room for new dreams).

    : D

    p.s.
    comment moderation word:
    "tarrogen"

    Hmmmm . . . herbs and potting sheds go nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my little greenhouse at the back end of the property. It is made with old windows and has tables for potting plants, running water but no electricity. And would not be a comfortable place in the winter but I am looking forward, especially, to this Fall when I can do some planting in there, over-winter my house plants, and just enjoy the pleasure of it. I just finished planting hydrangeas in the front of it in a raised bed that was already there from the previous owner. I cannot wait to see them bloom. We do need "places of our own" don't we Connie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on this desire, I always wanted a potting shed, a matching bike would be nice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure your dream of a potting house will come true. Love all your photos and your plans. Will be looking forward to seeing the finished product. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie,
    A place to hang your hat, put your gardening shoes and gloves...love it. I just mentioned to dug this past weekend that I would like a simple gardening table. He could build one for me. Will he? We'll see. I've been planting a LOT as of late! I buy, buy, buy, and plant, plant, plant all summer long! xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep us posted. I can't wait to see the finished project, although it's never finished is it? Always a work in progress. I want to see it "evolve". You have some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I know how badly you've wanted this. I am so excited for you, I can hardly contain myself. Geez, you'd think it was mine! Like everybody else, I'll be eagerly awaiting the finished product; however, I suspect this is one of those things that will never quite be finished. I just know it is going to be ADORABLE, you have such an artistic eye and a special way with adornments. I bet there will be some fantastic thrift-shop finds that go into the composition of this little beauty. Love ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. Your vivid description had me almost wiping my feet before I entered! Sounds absolutely lovely and I also can't wait to see.

    The Prospector sounds like the pot of gold at the end of your rainbow!♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dream and I love that your prospector wants to see it come true! I have wanted a fairy garden for a long time and am in the design stages of a house for it! I will keep my eyes open for a bike for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A chandelier in a potting shed what a marvellous idea Farmlady.
    Oh & about the strawberries I remember how irritated my Dad was when the kangaroos would steal his strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A chandelier in a potting shed what a marvellous idea Farmlady.
    Oh & about the strawberries I remember how irritated my Dad was when the kangaroos would steal his strawberries!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.