Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Try Adding Some Orange Peel (grated).


I think I have told you before that my mother added grated orange peel to everything. If you enlarge this first photo you will see that I have provided proof, in her own handwriting, that she loved to add orange zest to just about every recipe.
So, I have this one orange sitting on my counter. It's the last orange, of a bag of oranges, that I brought back from my sister's house. She has a very productive Orange tree that I lust for. This is a very important orange because I won't be going down to her home for a while and I want to do something special with it. It's juicy, sweet and the rind smells heavenly. I do not want to waste any of it.
I have finally decided to make Mom's Orange Buttermilk Sherbet. I was into making ice cream anyway this week, so I thought that this recipe would be a good one and I could fully utilize this beautiful and last remaining orange.

ORANGE BUTTERMILK SHERBET
Combine in a bowl: ( or a sauce pan if you're heating it. )
1 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
1 1/2 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Stir well....
Then add the juice of one lg. orange (no need to strain the juice.) and 2 tsp. of lemon juice.
I like to heat this whole mixture in a small sauce pan until the sugar is totally dissolved (maybe 1 or 2 mins.). Do not let it boil. Then let it cool a bit. (You don't have to heat the mixture but I think it makes the sugar blend better.)
Gradually add: 2 C. Buttermilk and 2 C. Low fat milk. ( I used 2 C. of store bought GOAT milk in place of the low fat milk...of course. I happened to have some handy and wanted to see what it would taste like.)

Then stir well and pour into a flat pan, cover and put it in the freezer.

Periodically lift with a fork and stir. I use a potato masher to beat the mixture and mix it around well. Do this every 1/2 hour or so until the sherbet is frozen. Be relentless. You can't hurt it. When completely frozen, sort of fluffy, and it looks like something you could eat... beat again and spoon into a bowl or ice cream container (like the old Tupperware ice cream holder that keeps ice cream really fresh) or anything with a lid. Don't pack it down too much.
It doesn't take long. I started around lunchtime and we ate it after dinner with a slice of Nut torte. Oh my, it was good.

This is Orange Buttermilk Sherbet made with goat milk and it's delicious. Great texture, wonderful flavor and it's beautiful with it's little flecks of orange rind smiling at you as you consume this delectable dessert. It's smooth, cold and delights the palate. ( How's that for a food review Chef E?) My mom would be proud.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. You should have heard me shriek! I love love love love love sherbert- my sister and I used to fight over it, sometimes it seems too sweet, I want more puckery orange flavor, can this be done- you know C. I am not the sweet chef, well that is a matter of opinion to my husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all these posts on frozen delights lately! They are all so tempting! This is one my mother would love. I hope you don't mind if I write this down and make it on Saturday at her house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm another tempting dessert, Farmlady, when will you get some nanny goats?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - Why does everything you make sound so darned good??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these look sooooo good! Hugs, Riki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great recipe. You love to tempt our palate. Have a blessed day and a great memorial day weekend. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds wonderful!!! I may experiment and see if this would work in my indoor ice cream freezer. I am so ditzy that I will forget to stir every 20 minutes... maybe the machine can help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heavenly. And i know what you mean about orange rind smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Orange rind added to recipes sounds delicious and so does this treat.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.