Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cutter Report and Goat Milk Ice Cream


Cutter baby is doing just fine. He took his first big walk with us down the hill and back (well, half way down...). His area of operation is healing well and he has an older and wiser look about him. We are still keeping him in the pen a lot because he and Carl want to play roughhouse too much and get really carried away with the wrestling and tackling. So "Cutterbutt"( I love making nicknames for him) is on light duty for a few more days. Just wanted all of you to know that the baby dude is OK.

Guess what I made this weekend? GOAT MILK ICE CREAM. It's so easy it's mind boggling. I haven't gone to the goat farm for fresh goat milk yet. I don't want to until I get the cheese making supplies I sent away for. So, I went to the store and bought a quart of pasteurized goat milk and proceeded to make honey vanilla ice cream that, I believe, rivals Haagen Dazs Honey-Vanilla Bee ice cream. I think that's the name of it. This Haagen Dazs ice cream is and will be my friend C's very favorite "store bought".... until she tries my version. Yes, C., it's every bit as good as Haagen Dazs and is , if I figured the finances of it right, half the cost.
All you do is mix a quart of goats milk( I used regular, not low fat.) and a cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract together.
I don't have an ice cream maker, but you could use one. I poured the mixture into a 9x12 cake pan and covered it with some press and seal wrap and popped it into the freezer.
Every hour or so I would pulled it out and break it up with a fork and a potato masher until it was mixed well and then I would return it to the freezer. .., and by dinnertime we had the best ice cream ever. I think you could use less honey and vanilla. The combination of this amount was very strong... but delicious. I think I would try smaller amounts next time. Try these amounts first and decide for yourselves.
The next day I added some fresh strawberries mashed up and mixed into the ice cream. OMG! It's so good.

This is a small helping of the Goat Milk ice cream for you. Help yourself. Enjoy! Bon Appetit!!

P.S. Goat milk has an aftertaste that I really notice when I drink the milk by itself. I don't really care for this thick, residual taste.. but this ice cream doesn't.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Well, complete and total yum on the goat milk ice cream. I am on my way over and I think I can make it in about an hour!! :)
    Cutterbutt- I LOVE it! I do the exact same thing with nicknames for my Dizzy kitty - and one of them is Dizzerbutt! But I also call him Diz, Dizzers, Dizzerbugs, Kitterbutt, Kitterboogers, - you get the idea. We ARE silly with the names, aren't we?
    Because we love our pets so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you had me at "rivals Haagen Daz Honey Vanilla" - but you knew that!
    :-)
    Very glad to hear Cutter-baby is healing up nicely.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here from another blog where you said you made an oyster chowder. Now that sounds delicious. I see you live in California too.
    Have you posted your oyster chowder recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You SWEAR that it rivals "Haagen Daz Honey Vanilla"?
    Because I'm not a goats milk fan at ALL, but I did notice that the Safeway around the corner now stocks organic goats milk... Hmmm...
    So I might give this a try and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM MEE. What else can I say? I have to try this for sure...glad the C man is doing well...funny how we make up such names for our guys...my Griffin has several...his latest is butter butt...don't ask me how it came about? By the way those kids on my latest post are my brothers...they are beautiful aren't they? Cheers...K

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a total ice cream lover. I've never tried this but I'm certainly willing to! I'll have to look for it at our grocery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that icecream does sound sooo good! I'm going to give it a go at the weekend. Good to hear the little chap is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear Cutter is healing well. Hopefully, soon it will be a distant memory :)

    Your ice cream looks and sounds delicious! This is a definite recipe to make next time I visit my grandchildren. (I bought a container of Cookies'n Cream while I was there. They would have loved this!)

    Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad Cutterbutt is getting along and will be his old self soon. The icecream sounds good. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to try this ice cream-have you ever had ginger ice cream? Oh my, it's heavenly, I make it with crtystallised ginger........bet it would be good with goats milk too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.