“To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.”
~Henri Cartier-Bresson



Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Shoot Out- The Old Druid


The most widespread view is that "druid" derives from the Celtic word for an oak tree (doire in Irish Gaelic), a word whose root also meant "wisdom."


"...and I am here too, in front of it, hardly able to see for the flash and the brightness.


and sometimes I am that madcap person
clapping my hands and singing;
and sometimes....
I am that quiet person down on my knees."~mary oliver~
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

Looks like the trees in our little woods! The height is amazing!

Barry said...

What a massive and magnificent tree. Truly inspiring.

gigi said...

Your trees are beautiful and tall!
Happy weekend!

castlewon said...

Mary Oliver, one of my favorites...

Jama said...

I love your perspective!

Pauline said...

From one farm lady to another - love your trees!

Ann said...

He must be very wise. May be it is the birds that travel afar come back and tell him all the news.

Peg @ Bloomfield Farm said...

I love old trees and the stories they must hold. My art instructor does the most beautiful drawings of trees. He is working on a series of drawings of the Angel Oak in Charleston right now.

Rebecca said...

I did not know that druid history...I love the perspective of your shots.

Missy AKA Little Messy Missy said...

Yep, I would hug that tree!

Birgit said...

Hi,

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog -- I always enjoy getting feedback. :)

Oh wow -- what a beautiful tree. Thanks for sharing these photos. :)

Currently, I have a little giveaway on my blog -- today is the last day to enter. :)

Greetings from Munich,
Birgit

Chef E said...

Read the post under this one first- Hey I am sure glad you have joined our shoot out, and the neighbor does not have one over on your camera toten' shoot outs! :)