Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Thursday, June 18, 2009

M.W.K. Would be Happy

When my sister and I went to the Art and Soul Festival in Asilomar I noticed that some of the ladies in our class were using old suitcases for their supplies. "Great idea", I thought and made a mental note to keep an eye out for a small case that I could use for the project I was working on at the moment. Instead of a bag or box that I had to lug around I could find a small makeup case that was sturdy and easy to carry.
This weekend when I we went to the Room With a Past vintage, antiques and collectibles sale, I found the small case I was looking for. It's sturdy, in good shape, lined with washable fabric..., has a good solid lock that won't open accidentally and a handle. I can put everything I need for one project in here and there is a mirror, just in case I have to check for spinach in my teeth or watch someone without them knowing it.
I don't know who M.W.K. was, but she (I'm guessing this was a "she") took good care of this little case. There are no nail polish spills or tears inside. We use to call these totes "overnight" cases or "makeup" cases. I had one when I was young. Too bad I didn't hold on to it. Right?
So many things that are now sitting in antique malls across America were useful items that still had a lot of shelf life in them; things that were given away or sold because they were not "new" enough or "good" enough . I think there's a trend (and a good one) ,now, to re-use rather than buy something new. Maybe the economy, tanking the way it did, has made folks rethink how they live. There are a lot more people in the thrift stores these days.
M.W.K. might have sold this case, or lost it or maybe she died and it was sold in an estate or garage sale. Who knows where this little case has travelled, but I'm glad I found it . I guess I could cover the initials with my own. I could decorate the outside with some Mod Podge and pictures that I like. We'll see..., but for now, I will put my Mystorian book parts inside and everything will be in one place and I will use this "new", little old makeup case for a different purpose. It's a good thing.

Please check out Colorado Lady's blog for more vintage, retro and antique items and a list of blogs who share the love of "old" wonderful and useful things.
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

  1. I called these train cases. There is another one on a VTT blog today. I think that decorating this would spoil it unless you used some vintage luggage labels. There are replicas of the old labels available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little case. I love that it is red. I have one I want to redo the inside just have not gotten to it.

    I started to read your post below, but had to force myself not to look at the pics. I can not do snakes...any kind....sorry....they scare me to death!

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snakes are our friends, Colorado Lady!
    Anyways, nice post! Mom used to have one of those overnight makeup cases, and it was great! All us girls used it when on vacation - it fit many many things inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fabulous find..in great condition too!!..i'm with you i love recycling too..it's a very good thing indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can appreciate your taste in the little red bag. I have an old blue over night bag that belonged to my mother. I never use it, but have kept it. It is in really good condition. I enjoyed reading your post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great condition your case is in!
    It was almost a rite of passage to get old enough to get a train case as a young girl in the early 60's.
    We took the train to NYC from Indiana to see the World's Fair in 1964, and I thought that I was hotstuff, using that train case!
    YOurs is wonderful.
    Thanks for the memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great how you are using it and keeping the memories alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great idea. My mom has a makeup case very similar to yours and she still uses it when she travels. Some things never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little case! You do know that MWK stands for "My Wonderous Kit" don't you? So it would be quite appropriate to use it for your supplies. (It also stands for "Monkeys Will Kiss" so be careful something brown, hairy and smelling of bananas doesn't jump out at you when you least expect it).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great idea, I love vintage train cases. I have a beautiful vintage Wheary train case that I use when ever I travel. A few years ago I found a matching small suitcase on eBay to go with it and I use both when I travel by car. Thanks for stopping over to my blog! xo, suzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makeup case was a great find. Like you say it can be used for other things besides makeup. Thank you for your visit and comment on my post. Have a great day and weekend. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well it looks as if you found quite a bargain in the overnight case. I think we had turned into what I call a "throw away society". Instead of trying to fix things so they will work again our society just threw it away and got something new to replace it. Of course there have been those that have always taken the opposite route and held on to the old better made and fixable items. Like you said though, our economy has forced many of us to find value in what we already have. The said part of being a throw away society is that we threw away people and relationships as well without trying to fix what was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well it looks as if you found quite a bargain in the overnight case. I think we had turned into what I call a "throw away society". Instead of trying to fix things so they will work again our society just threw it away and got something new to replace it. Of course there have been those that have always taken the opposite route and held on to the old better made and fixable items. Like you said though, our economy has forced many of us to find value in what we already have. The said part of being a throw away society is that we threw away people and relationships as well without trying to fix what was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always fun to "catch up" with you (seems like that is my blogger ID these days). Cute idea for the case. Adorable house for your son. I can't wait to see what unfolds. Dreams coming true -- that's good stuff to read about. : D

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you Mod Podge the case, please re-post it! I'd love to see .. . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute is that? Love the red. I have several vintage suitcases, but no overnight bags. I keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have an overnight case almost exactly like this one, and I always used it for sleepovers at my friends houses and the long car trip to TN in the summer! Oh, the treasures it used to hold!

    I had a pretty good weekend, with *found* treasures... a lovely excellent condition lounge suite and a lovely old brass floor lamp! All told, I spent less than $60... and I'm so proud of myself!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.
I love to hear what you think about my blog. Feel free to speak your mind. Please be honest.., but remember your manners.